View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 pm

Scratched out another one 
King of Spring

Post Scratched out another one
I got lucky and scratched this guy out on 5-12 .. I started out at a spot where I was told a Turkey had been gobbling about every day, but the guys at my hunt club couldn't kill him. I thought I would give him a try, I had not hunted this bird or heard him all season. I was waiting to hear him, when I heard this bird gobble way back across the property. I waited till 6:30 hoping the bird I came in after would start up.. he didn't.. so I slipped back to my truck and drove across the property.. there is a strip of woods between two fields.. and I thought this gobbler was roosted in that strip.. I eased through the cattle gate crossing thinking he may be in the second field.. I saw him.. he saw me, but they don't spook too bad from vehicles.. so he walked over a rise and I backed the truck up and hid it.. I slipped up through the strip of woods.. taking my time and glassing every 5 to ten yds with the binos.. I finally spotted him.. I belly crawled from there.. using the fan I had and big trees to hide my approach.. I saw some other turkeys with him, but couldn't tell what they where just seeing a head or back every now and then. Last week I saw some turkeys in about the same area and when I showed one the fan he seemed interested, but when I gave a call he took off running and flew.. so remembering that I didn't call at all. I finally got to where he could see the fan, and he starting my way angling a bit to the right, but closing from 65 to 40 pretty quick. He then stuck his head up and got a bit nervous so I ended it. Ended up being another Longbeard and two Jakes with this one once I stood up after the shot. Happy to get him..

Short Barrel Cam Video
https://youtu.be/EH0GRtoVCVE

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri May 13, 2022 9:22 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Scratched out another one
Congrats Randy. I'm heading out tomorrow, hope some of your luck runs off on me.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri May 13, 2022 8:09 pm
Longbeard

Good job Randy, you just have to stay after them.

Fri May 13, 2022 8:40 pm
King of Spring

Congratulations

Fri May 13, 2022 9:53 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Good ending Randy!!

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat May 14, 2022 9:43 am
King of Spring

Nice bird Randy, congratulations!

Earl

Wed May 18, 2022 6:07 pm
King of Spring

Wonder it that was the bird everyone else had been hunting an he relocated. Either way, great job, Randy

Mon May 23, 2022 12:16 pm