View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:08 pm

Non vocal birds 
King of Spring

Post Non vocal birds
I've had 1 bird answer a call over my last 4 hunts.
Well over 20 daylight hours spent in the woods/fields over that time.
2 of those hunts never heard a bird gobble on the property we were on.
Very little gobbling after fly down.
Hope things change over the next 2 weeks

Attachments:
279645382_10222944654938972_7674558359448583717_n_1.jpg
279645382_10222944654938972_7674558359448583717_n_1.jpg [ 116.73 KiB | Viewed 546 times ]

Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:24 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Non vocal birds
It drives me crazy when you know they are there and no they are hearing calls that should be answered. But some days/ weeks they just don’t say a word.

I can remember hunting mountains way way back there when this dreaded silence would take hold and you would swear there was not a bird in the county. Then one day late in the season they would erupt all over the place and just free gobble all day. Friends here who hunt the mountains religiously had a dead early season as far as gobbling. Them this past week the birds caught fire and several gobbles their way right to the gun.

As Barry knows every day is new day in the turkey woods. Hopefully things pick up. I have some areas where the gobbling is OK. But in Ky this year once they hit the ground it was over for the day. Luckily killed gobbling birds right off the limb.

People all over the south say the birds have gobbles very little on the ground this year FWIW

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:53 pm
King of Spring

From your lips to God's ear. I had one day where birds responded like normal. I haven't even heard much in the way of roost gobbling. I think this cold weather has them all hosed up. I have people saying they're henned up but I've seen many lone hens. Just a crazy year.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Sun May 01, 2022 3:49 pm
King of Spring

I've heard 7 total gobbles in 8 hunts across 2 states. Have seen a handful of non gobbling jakes of which i have deemed off limits due to the lack of mature birds. I've had other years where i didn't kill a bird but at least in those years i played the game many times. This year is shaping up to be the worst ever on all accounts. I won't ever give up, just worried about the bird in general. 25 years is a pretty good sample size, to say this is the worst, and it's not even close, is concerning.

Mon May 02, 2022 12:12 pm
King of Spring

Concerning it is, but I believe not many 2 yo out there as the hen poult ratio study on base showed the fewest poult survey sightings ever in 2020. Mostly I believe from the kills not many 2 yo out there which I believe are your more vocal birds.
Those 3 yo I believe do more spitting and droning then gobbling. Also there seems to be a good recruitment of jakes on base and a few of us are seeing jakes bullying the LB.
I know folks love the gobble, as do I. But I would be fine with just one or 2 gobbles just to get his location. Less hunter and predictor interference. Maybe it’s my fall hunting only up bringing. That gobble is something primal about it but the strutting, spitting and droning coming in is the show for me in the spring.
Also over the years the predator increase in many areas may also be a slight reason for less gobbling. There are many variables that could go into less gobbling but yea the gobble is prehistoric.

Earl

Thu May 19, 2022 6:21 am