View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 pm

Got some help from the crows 
Longbeard

Post Got some help from the crows
Very slow first 2 weeks here in Halifax County with little gobbling but they started a few days ago. Monday busted one off the roost as I was going to him, probably this guy. Today's roost gobbling was from woods across a field from where I started, went over there, no more gobbling (not sure what happened, probably got too close). Plunked down against a tree and called periodically with no response. After about an hour heard crows harassing something in woods back where I had started. Didn't sound quite riotous enough to be after a hawk so good chance it's a turkey. Went back over there, guided by crow activity, finally heard a muffled gobble maybe 150 yards back in woods. Chose a tree and sat, did a little yelping with 2 different mouth diaphragms with no response. After a few minutes decided I needed to get a little closer, stood up to move, booming gobble about 75 yards away in fortunately fairly thick woods. Appeared to react to noise of my moving so I sat back down, made a couple clucks and shut up. He gobbles a couple more times, saw him at about 60 yds, moving a little to my right. Got a full view of him at what I judged to be fringe of my effective range, held my fire but he apparently saw or heard the nervous fake hen, turned back the way he had come and I decided it was now or never. Shot him at what turned out to be 45 yards. I think the TSS (#9, 2.25 ounces) paid off here.
Heaviest one I've ever killed at 23 lbs 9 oz, 10" beard, spurs only 1" and 1 1/16" but pretty sharp and curved. After toting him uphill out of the woods to the field edge along with gun and ridiculously over-stuffed vest, I decided to bring truck to him rather than him to the truck, kind of like retrieving a deer.

Attachments:
IMG_0464.jpg
IMG_0464.jpg [ 52.12 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]
IMG_0463(1).jpg
IMG_0463(1).jpg [ 41.92 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:12 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Got some help from the crows
Very nice, congrats!

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:51 pm
King of Spring

I’ve had crows give me an assist on two gobblers in the past. Always appreciate any help I can get.
Fine bird. Congratulations

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:04 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Crows tell on a lot of turkeys. Good woodsmanship to put the crows racket together with the gobbler. Squirrels also can help us. Find the gobbler. IMO. Congrats on a great hunt

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:04 pm
King of Spring

Outstanding hunt, Congratulations!

Mon May 02, 2022 12:15 pm
King of Spring

Big Congrats..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue May 03, 2022 9:56 am