View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:10 am

Steppin' on Some Neck in Catlett 
King of Spring

Post Steppin' on Some Neck in Catlett
Been a messed up season so far. Didn’t start hunting till Monday 4/11 and then tested positive for Covid on 4/13!
Was feeling good enough to head back out today and had four birds gobbling down in the creek bottom at daybreak. All ignored my calls and worked off through the bottom towards some fields.
Around 0830 I got a bird to gobble at crow call and was able to get within 80 yds. I watched two longbeards strut and display while a third bird gobbled 150 yds away in the bottom.
I made a few yelps and the two strutters slicked down and walked off. Go figure.
The third bird shut up as well, so I made a big loop back in his direction. About an hour later I was sitting on a little hill overlooking the bottom enjoying the day and glad I could get back out so soon (this Covid is a bitch).
About 10:00 a bird gobbles at a Pileated Woodpecker 100 yds straight out in front of me down in the thick creek bottom.
I pull my wingbone up and give a few soft clucks….GOOOBBBLLE!

GAME ON!

I get set up and put call away. Ten minutes later I hear a stick snap and here he comes. He starts to skirt me to my left and I got one shot before he gets outta sight behind a hill and I take it. Unfortunately he was in the standing water and flopped a bit in the mess.

Watch center bottom for the Tom to come into view in the video.
22#, 10” beard, and 1” needle sharp ivory spurs.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fxE9Ovzj1cc

Last edited by brwndg on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:12 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Stepping on Some Neck in Catlett
good work, nothing wrong with that!

Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:44 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Congratulations on a fine bird. Even if wet. One call and he comes straight in. Hard to beat that. I was wondering where you and WAG were ? It has been lonely in here. Some of us have been in this forum a long long time and it is always great to see the successes of all of you. Get another one soon.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:07 pm
Longbeard

GN, Thanks for your concern. I have been hunting every day from before daylight until noon (translation, I have not done squat). I have seen turkey most every day but have not been able to put it together. I missed one the first Wednesday of the season at 5 yards, rookie mistake, I shot through some brush and did not notice the six inch log below the view through my red dot that took the whole load. I let one walk this Tuesday while trying to be too careful and not taking the first killing opportunity. Hope things change soon.

Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:46 pm
King of Spring

Good shootin! Congrats!

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:47 pm
King of Spring

Nicely done.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:52 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Steppin' on Some Neck in Catlett
Congrats man.. just catching up on the board post.. you always get it done there.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue May 03, 2022 9:24 am