View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 pm

No Spring Training trip this year 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post No Spring Training trip this year
For the first time in about four decades I will not be traveling south in March to turkey hunt the spring gobbling birds. Due to some wife health issues and some land ownership changes I am having to miss the Fla Bama Ga swing. It’s a tough change for me to accept this year. If you have read the forum reports since it’s inception you may have seen a lot photos of long spurs and swamp birds hanging from a limb. Not this year. Or at least not from me. Hopefully from others.

Hope to get out locally and maybe some other states but no reports forthcoming for March. Best of luck to any of you who are in fact in the south or headed there in the rest of the month. It’s a special time in the Deep South. Smoky mornings from woods burning, birds hammering on most days , wading swamps and looking out foe the cottonmouth and the rattlers. I won’t miss the last part very much this year.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:13 am
King of Spring

Post Re: No Spring Training trip this year
GN,
Sad to hear, both the hunting and the news about your Mrs. I feel your pain, my wife's check engine light lit up September of 2020. Still on the mend. My prayers for her quick recovery.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:18 pm
King of Spring

GN, sorry to hear about the wife will be keeping her in our thoughts and prayers.

I feel your anxiety about your hunts. Been there or actually still there. Missing annual hunts is hard, but I know myself were blessed with many years of hunts and new friends and for that I am grateful

Hopefully the wife will have a speedy recovery back to good health and your turkey tour will once again be an annual event.

Earl

Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:45 am
Longbeard

Hang in there, GN

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:00 am
King of Spring

Sorry to hear that GN, hope she is on the mend. My reason for checking in today was to see if you had posted your spring training trip. There at least 3 turkeys that got to see extra sunrises because of this, those turkeys will procreate and send birds far and wide. TN time is near, Good luck wherever you travel.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:38 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Thanks folks. Tenn opens soon so I hope to have some stories and pictures soon.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:26 pm
King of Spring

Tough stuff. Hopefully she is on the mend. Have had my own health issues that seem to be resolved. I'm planning on hitting the Va woods next weekend. Hopefully a few birds are around. Based on what I've seen and heard, bird numbers are certainly not what they were in years gone past. Certainly there are some pockets out there and as the old saying goes, it only takes one gobbling bird to make a fun day.

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:29 am
King of Spring

Just catching up on here.. sorry you didn't make it down there this year..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:55 pm