View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 pm

Coming To A Close 
King of Spring

Post Coming To A Close
Well 3 days left in the greatest turkey hunting season time. But this fall winter season is the worst I have seen since hunting at Quantico and AP Hill since 1983.

Although Patch has found a couple birds here and there, no one is seeing any sign or turkeys since the first of October. Myself and one other has taken a bird which was a good break in early October.

There were plenty of white oaks early on but the deer and turkey were not eating them and plenty of white and some reds on the ground now. After opening the whites and reds early on they were rotten.

The deer right now are eating the holly berries and some bark. What happen to the turkeys no one knows at either base. I am sure some moved off base as is observed every year but this year it seems 95% moved off. No one is finding any dead turkeys or piles of feathers.

I hear that on private lands folks are seeing turkey. In fact a half mile down the road I am seeing a drove of 9 gobblers and a hen drove with some young of the year on a regular bases.

But still heading out in the rain and snow today as Patch loves to hunt more then I do.

Hope others had a good fall/winter season and is that time to start dreaming of the up coming spring season.

Earl

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:15 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Coming To A Close
Saw a Group of 5 LB's together two weeks ago on the farm I used to hunt at in Shenandoah Co. Va. Sadly the farm has been sold and thus my turkey hunting at that place is over. I believe there was a decent hatch last year also because I have seen one group of 14 hens and jakes traveling together. IMO there are more Yotes now then I have ever seen before.

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Sounds like a tough season and a depressing outlook on Quantico. Hope the birds are simply good at being turkey and hiding out in the deep woods.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:20 pm
King of Spring

GN, my tired body is a testimony I have been in the deep woods, LOL!

But the last day of the season Patch was able to find the last few birds on base. I was lucky enough to award Patch with one I called back in, I think the last one on base.

TUT, I too have seen a lot of Yotes on base, in fact Patch had 3 encounters with them and was lucky to come out unharmed. But a lot of Yote poop all over the roads. Not saying that is the main issue but one that does not help. I believe the deer population is bearing out the Yote problem on base.

Earl

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:03 pm
King of Spring

Where I hunt in WV i used to see quite a few birds. The yotes moved into the bottom and the Turkey moved out. Even if the yotes aren't nabbing all the birds they seem to make them nervous enough to find d greener pastures. Just some observations no proof.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:03 pm