View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 pm

Thanks Giving Day 
Poult

Post Thanks Giving Day
Anyone hunt Turkey for thanks giving day. If someone please share your hunting ideas.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Poult

Post Re: Thanks Giving Day
We do!
I use hunting bow, specifically crossbow with carbon arrow.
we do it for sport with my father and brother. 8)

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:39 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Smoked some turkey breasts for the family dinner yesterday . These were all birds that were spring gobblers. I put filleted off half breast pieces in quart freezer bags filled with water being careful to get all possible air out of the bag before freezing. . They will keep for years unless a hole gets in the bag and lets air in.

As fr how to kill a gobbler, Id say these pages in this forum are filled with ideas on how to kill a turkey.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:59 am
King of Spring

Yes I did. I hunt with a turkey dog in the fall/winter seasons. Patch (the dog) broke up a drove of longbeards and jakes on Wednesday. I then built a blind consisting of limbs and branches and settled in for at least the next 4 hours. After about 2 1/2 hours of calling making gobbler yelps and clucks i noticed a turkey standing about 35 yards out starring right at me (came in silent as they (longbeards) most due in the fall. But I may just not have heard his clucks with my somewhat declined hearing. He must have seen my head movement and was then departing exit stage right. Normally the dog alerts in the blind with me when a turkey is coming in, but looking down on her she was fast asleep laying on her wool blanket and covered by her wool blanket.
But thanksgiving there was a gobbler I took back in the October season in the deep fryer on Thursday.

Earl

Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:31 am