View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm

All Day hunting last three week in VA-2022 season 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post All Day hunting last three week in VA-2022 season
in somewhat of a surprise move according to several knowledgable turkey hunters in Va , the Commission adopted all day hunting for the last three weeks of the season for Virgina spring season next year. A departure from the May 1 historical start for all day hunting . You can read about it in the link below

https://dwr.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/new/

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:09 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: All Day hunting last three week in VA-2022 season
I may be mistaken but I do not think VA used May 1 as the previous start of all day hunting, I believe that all day hunting was previously the last two weeks of the season. I am somewhat pleased with the decision, not because I agree with increasing turkey hunting pressure but because the original proposal was to have all day hunting for the entire season. I know that Gary Norman publically opposed this proposal and it looks like DWR in their infinite wisdom decided to split the baby. The result is a better outcome than it could have been but it appears that DWR most always sides with wishes to "increase opportunities for hunters" instead of making hard decisions to benefit/protect our wildlife resources.

Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:35 am
King of Spring

No sir, not for it. Although that was the original plan, Gary Norman is no longer there. And with the current studies and research I was a little surprised as others that it went to the last 3 weeks. Some were thinking maybe the last week or no all day.

I understand it helps those with limited time to hunt but we will need the turkeys around to hunt in the future.

Cannot understand not imposing harvest spring restriction in certain counties (stay the same 3, or 1 or 2 in less populated counties) as has been proposed back in 2012.

I was somewhat surprised that adjustments to the fall season has not been started as also been proposed. PA biologist Mary Jo started the fall restrictions a couple years ago by WMU in the state. A little early to tell the effect but I know a lot of fall hunters were disappointed but understand, especially the turkey dog hunters, a few have sold or given away thier dogs. Also PA this year no more rifle hunting for turkeys.

As some of you know my passion for fall turkey and spring that if lesser season and harvest restrictions be imposed (with a sound management plan) for both seasons I would 100% be for it. But after 5 years some improvement should show. If not figure something else out, but at least try something.

VA is in the process again for a additional turkey biologist as Martin and her assistant are overwhelmed with multi tasking jobs. Also in 2022 they will met again to develop a new 10 year turkey management plan.

Enough chit chat time to get on the hen/poult survey.

Earl

Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:24 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

If I understand the kill records for National Forests in Va from last spring , less than a thousand birds came from over a million acres in VA?

Seems like a very small harvest number from such vast acreage. Perhaps the half day hunting should have remained on the public land for the entire season, With a low bird population in the NF and much of it at elevations where birds might still be in serious breeding mode in last three weeks of the season, a little less pressure would be good thing for restoring some of the flock?

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:05 am
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
If I understand the kill records for National Forests in Va from last spring , less than a thousand birds came from over a million acres in VA?

Seems like a very small harvest number from such vast acreage. Perhaps the half day hunting should have remained on the public land for the entire season, With a low bird population in the NF and much of it at elevations where birds might still be in serious breeding mode in last three weeks of the season, a little less pressure would be good thing for restoring some of the flock?

Exactly GN, you must have been a fly on the wall in the 2012 management plan we had for the State. That was one of many recommendations along with breaking it down by counties or management areas, ie (national forest/private lands). Where areas are low less harvest or season, where high keep it the same. Again many good things brought up but nothing ever implemented.

But finally after decades some states are really starting to put a lot more money into turkey management research and getting some great data to implement a turkey management plan, hopefully not to late. One example is seed that farmers have started using I think over the last 10-15 years is coated with brightly colored pesticide, corn and soy are just two. The coating is Neonicotinoids (sp) EPA found that seed eating birds can be harmed by eating these seeds coated with neonic and is causing reduced reproductive activity.

The studies are still ongoing on the effects of turkeys but they are looking at not just the seed but the insects that eat the plants and have it in thier system and then the turkeys eat the insect. Since some of thier studies have found the decline of turkey populations around agricultural areas that is why they are looking into the effects of these treated seeds. Money and research well spent.

I believe the NWTF web site has something on it, but one can today just google it.

Earl

Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:52 am