View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 am

The Cicada Bufffet in your area? 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post The Cicada Bufffet in your area?
Some of the areas in East Tn are loaded with the periodic cicadas. Generally that means super poult protein loads and a strong brood survival . It is a random patchwork of areas where they are found, and it is not like they are "everywhere " in a county. Does your area have a good cicada emergence at this time?

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:23 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: The Cicada Bufffet in your area?
They are absent in my area of central VA (Powhatan, Cumberland, Amelia, Dinwiddie, Nottoway).

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:22 am
King of Spring

WAGinVA wrote:
They are absent in my area of central VA (Powhatan, Cumberland, Amelia, Dinwiddie, Nottoway).

Yep..

Years just seem to get tougher on my spots the last few years.. funny thing is my hunt club had as many birds on it this year than I've seen since I started hunting it in 2016.. but I just couldn't kill one of em.. my fault mostly.. one mis-fire and one miss .. I know of three that did die there from other members though.. I saw a group of at least 8 pre-season and called up 5 on opening day.. but just couldn't get it done.. my other spot where I always have luck was pretty absent of birds this year.. only heard one on it all year, and he flew down and went away, never to be heard again.. third spot I hunt had very few, but managed to mess up and miss one there too..

I certainly hope the lack of rain in May helps the hatch out around here despite no Cicadas ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:11 pm
King of Spring

They are absolutely everywhere and loud as can be in every haunt in these parts of the world. So loud that you can be driving on the interstate, windows up, and still here them in the right places. They didn't start hollering until later this year as opposed to 2004. I can remember trying to hunt turkeys in the mountains in 2004 in late May and they were so loud that i would not have heard a gobble at much over 50 yards. Pretty sure I did not kill a turkey in 2005, lets hope 2022 is more productive.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:44 am
Longbeard

Haven’t seen the first one around here. (Stafford, Fauquier, King George, Prince William). Was hoping for them to help this hatch out.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:13 am
Longbeard

Haven’t seen any in Rappahannock, but Fairfax is loaded. Really makes a mess on the windshield.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:10 pm
King of Spring

Tons of them here. I think they are on the decline now, dead ones all over the place. I can still hear them in the house, windows shut, though I think it is down a few decibels.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:16 am