View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 pm

Lucky 
King of Spring

Post Lucky
Attachment:
Dale Turkey 2021 2.jpg
Dale Turkey 2021 2.jpg [ 216.06 KiB | Viewed 1330 times ]

Guess my post got deleted with other spam. Here is a pic of my son with his tailless bird. The bird had a good beard, 10.25" and spurs were just under an inch.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed May 19, 2021 1:47 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Lucky
Short tail there for sure. I killed a bird in Idaho with a short tail like that some years ago. The farmer who let me hunt this bird referred to the bird as" Stubby".He said he hit a young poult with a hay mower, and is sure that Stubby was the bird he hit and Stubbys tail area was so damaged from the blow that the tail never regrew. Perhaps your sons bird suffered some serious injury as well . A read-end accident so to speak :P

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed May 19, 2021 7:51 pm
King of Spring

Begs the question.. can they fly without a tail??

I'm guessing they can enough to get up to roost at least.. otherwise I can't see one making it to adulthood like that.

Last time I saw Dale he sure didn't have that full beard :) :shock:

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu May 20, 2021 10:38 am
King of Spring

I called a bird in for my cousin about 10 years ago that had no tail feathers. It had pieces of quills but the main feathers were gone. Since the base of the fan was left I figured a fox or yote got hold of the tail when it took off and ripped the feathers out. I didn't think of a hay mower, that would certainly do it. So this is the second bird I've seen without. I think they can fly, just not well.

As for the beard, Dale is going to be a woolly lad. Hopefully not with the back hair like my wife's side of the family. You could run corn rows on BILs back. Guess the beard is why he chose the nickname Wolfvman. It's pretty dang thick too.

V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu May 20, 2021 11:44 am
Boss Gobbler

Vic, sorry I may have cropped it accidentally when I had all of that spam on here the other day. Congrats. I have seen a few like that also. You never know what can cause that. Predator etc. Still a great bird and one you'll remember.

Thu May 20, 2021 12:24 pm