View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 pm

My season at the ''Duck Blind'' 
King of Spring

Post My season at the ''Duck Blind''
The ''Duck Blind'' was so named by GN because of it's appearance.
It is located in a clearing in the woods on our farm and has served me well over the years.
This year...not so much! 4 hunts there and I played with birds each time, actually I was the one getting played.
Hunted there yesterday and had my butt handed to me like never before and not just once!
Called the same gobbler into sight 3 TIMES between 930 - 1:00!
He just would not commit. He'd stand out there gobbling and looking all the while driving me crazy then he'd just walk away!
After the first time we pulled the jake decoy leaving only the hen thinking that might work...NOPE!
The 2nd gut wrenching encounter ending with him walking away again so we pulled the hen deke.
We got him gobbling again and this time my buddy walked away from him hoping to draw him into range for me.
For a brief moment I thought it was gonna work as he came into view a third time and started my way only to turn and walk away yet again!
I could hunt him again but after 4 sets and over 25 hours spent on him I've decided to declare him the winner!
He deserves that and he earned it! I don't like to admit that he beat me fair and square.
I actually think we should encounter birds like this now and then just to remind us that we can be humbled by a bird with the brain the size of a quarter!
Yes, he'll haunt me but I just hope we can play the game again next year if the good Lord's willing.
Stay safe old warrior until we meet again!

PS - A Wood Duck sailed over us yesterday while we were in the blind...very fitting!

Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: My season at the ''Duck Blind''
Those slippery ones do haunt all of us Barry.

I’m sure he will be around next year , bigger and even more starlet than this season. He will get his comeuppance in time. You ha e made the down payment and most of the time payment this year. Pick up the merchandise in early April in 2022. My money is still on you.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed May 12, 2021 3:47 pm
King of Spring

I am with GN, the fat lady hasn't sung on that one yet. 2022 is another year and he'll mess up. Was that the only bird in the area? Surprised all that gobbling didn't bring another bird in that wasn't as sharp. I think it's been an interesting year for us all......
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed May 12, 2021 3:59 pm
King of Spring

Vic wrote:
I am with GN, the fat lady hasn't sung on that one yet. 2022 is another year and he'll mess up. Was that the only bird in the area? Surprised all that gobbling didn't bring another bird in that wasn't as sharp. I think it's been an interesting year for us all......
V

He's the only one that gobbled that day but heard 3 birds there just 7 days ago, even have 2 on trail cam since then.
Birds are acting weird here this year to say the least

Wed May 12, 2021 5:14 pm
Jake

I feel your pain. Just got back from a three day hunt west of Farmville and have been working two mind reading BIG gobbles that stayed together. They got in my head and will haunt me for a long time. Every time figured a pattern they thru a curveball my way. They loved being in a big field and and I hunted them from before sun up until about 7 each night. long days but I thought sure I would get a crack at them. Turkeys will be turkeys. I think I even saw one stick his tongue out at me and the other gave me his middle toe :P . As I left today I had to tip my hat to them they beat me bad. Been a tougher than normal season for me but at least I got one.

Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 pm
King of Spring

When does VA close? If there are other birds around there, go for it. Good luck.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri May 14, 2021 8:11 am