View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 am

Blessed to have good friends for sure 
King of Spring

Post Blessed to have good friends for sure
I was able to kill this bird thanks to A.J.'s generosity in letting me hunt on his place with him and being the trigger man. Both the birds I've killed this year has been because of friends that are kind enough to invite me to hunt, as my places have seemed to have dried up after I had a couple of misses and a mis-fire.

We had heard another bird in this area the week before when A.J. killed his so decided to start up above where that turkey was. Ended up being three of them and another to our right about 200 yds. We got close to the three and I ended up calling them in right off the roost and should have been done early, but screwed it up yet again somehow. I was covering an opening at 10 O'clock when a bird gobbled at 12 O'clock.. I swung back to cover him and a short while later I cut my eyes back to the opening and a big bird was standing in it looking at me. I decided just to try and swing and shoot. He saw me and then my eyes got to playing tricks on me. Ended up being two birds to the left and when I swung I only picked up the back bird with my eyes when the front bird was just standing there after taking a step or two waiting to be shot. You can see it from the Barrel Cam video.. should have been a dead bird. Anyway got them fired back up and starting just calling to the bird to our right and he came in and the three ended up fighting with him and ran him off. Still gobbling going away from us, we circled and got in front of them and got them fired back up again and I ended up crawling while A.J. kept them gobbling and killed one of the three. Should have been done early, but got it done an hour later anyway. Nice Bird, 1.25 inch spurs, 9.5 inch beard. Can't thank A.J. enough.

We also ended up calling the single bird in around 10:00 AM but he just periscoped us and would come no closer than 65 yds.

Video: https://youtu.be/7Fal6D537fg

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon May 10, 2021 5:00 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Blessed to have good friends for sure
Nice job by both the host and the hunter...congratulations guys

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon May 10, 2021 6:23 pm
King of Spring

Very nice work. Having 3 come in can always compromise one's sensibilities and make your eyes play tricks. Sounds like a great hunt though.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue May 11, 2021 7:52 am
King of Spring

Oh yea, beautiful setting for the pics.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 am
Boss Gobbler

Congrats, Great pic and you have earned them this year.

Tue May 11, 2021 11:45 am
King of Spring

Been a challenging season for ya, but you always rise (or crawl in this case) to the occasion.
Congrats on a great bird

Tue May 11, 2021 10:23 pm
King of Spring

Great bird Randy. Yes birds come and go, but friendships are forever. Congratulations on both.

Earl

Wed May 12, 2021 6:40 am
King of Spring

Sounds like a morning to be remembered for sure, congratulations all around.

Wed May 12, 2021 11:51 am