View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:31 pm

West Virginia 
King of Spring

Post West Virginia
Son and I did our usual road trip to WV to hunt turkey and check on my Mom. We hunted 4 days hard, starting in 3 different locations and never heard a roost gobble. Disappointing. First and 3rd days, rain killed us, really sucked on day 3 because we had a bird closing and the skies opened up and rained hard. Ended that. Only got on birds 2 times, once when the rain hit, and the other we hit came close and just kept on going. Never even saw him. Weird 4 days for me. We're usually at least in the game. Kind of had high hopes since my friend said he heard 8 on opening day.

So, since the Maryland opening week I haven't heard a gobbling bird on the roost. Always this weekend.

Question, I've hunted a little in the rain before and have had a little success, but was wondering how you all change tactics, or if you do change tactics? On day 3 we were in a blind because of rain. It was just spitting a little and we finally got a bird gobbling around 8 am. It kept getting closer and closer and we are thinking we might just get lucky. Around 0815 the bird is around 75 yards out and the skies open up and dump rain pretty hard. I called again about a minute later and nothing. I'd just do ocasional clucks and purrs after that hoping that the Tom would still come in quietly. Nothing, not another peep. My son was quite sad about it as was I. Just wondering if you use different tactics when rain lays down.

Hope you all have more luck than I. Will keep after them.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 10, 2021 1:23 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: West Virginia
That is too bad about your west va hunt . Especially with your son. and his expectations based on your previous years success.

Rain? If you have a waterproof blind and some open areas to hunt, I have generally found birds will get in to fields or edges after a rain to dry out. I do not recall killing many in an absolute deluge. But have killed a fair number in lapses between rain showers , and more after rain lets up. It is a patience game . There are exceptions to the general rule though, and I can remember some unusual kills in heavy rain. Id rather sit in a good place in a good waterproof blind in the rain than sit in my truck.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon May 10, 2021 2:01 pm
King of Spring

Ok, what you are saying pretty much fits what I've experienced. We were in a Primos Double Bull blind and pretty much dry. We sat for 2 hours waiting for the rain to stop and when it finally did, nothing. I had my jake decoy out and that may of worked against me too. Thanks for your input GN.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 pm
King of Spring

Vic, sorry about your WV hunt.

I was in PA for 6 days, five of which were rain. But turned into good hunts about every day. Yes a blind is great for those days and maybe my age i should invest in one. But i still put on the rain gear and tough it out. I am a slow learner.

Earl

Wed May 12, 2021 6:38 am