View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 pm

Incredible morning, even though, I didn't pull the trigger!! 
King of Spring

Post Incredible morning, even though, I didn't pull the trigger!!
This morning started off fast, as the break of dawn was greeted by atleast 2 maybe 3 different turkeys joining the chorus of spring song birds and whipoorwheels breaking the silence of the woods!! I let them carry on for a bit and then I decided to join them with a few yelps as well, immediately answered! I went quiet for a bit and they gobbled more! This went back and forth for awhile, and they closed the distance by quite a bit! They were just out of sight and down the ridge when they decided, they had enough, and went off another direction! They gobbled most of the morning, and i made a couple of moves on them, just to keep going further away, still gobbling! Strike one.... Next up... I moved to another area and got settled into a blind , got comfortable and let out a couple calls on the box call... A few moments later, i was greeted by a gobble a long ways off!! He gobbled again and it was game on! I called, he answered, back and forth we go... I see him 60 to 70 yards down the ridge and my safety was off.... Here he comes... So I thought... He made a few steps my way... Folded up his wings, and nonchalantly turned around and walked away, not making another peep!! I have no idea what happened.. He saw something, or heard something, he didn't like.. And strike 2...... After awhile of silence, I decided to head to another spot for one last try... I cut on the box call loudly off of a power line.. And GOBBLE!! It's a little after 1100 now, so in my mind.. Here we go!!! Unfortunately, i heard the dreaded sound of a hen with him, and she carried him off and away as fast as she could, with him gobbling in tow every few minutes.... Strike 3.... 12 noon and I'm out!! What A Day!!! Until next time my turkey friends!! Until next time!! But for now... I need to "lick" my wounds for that butt kicking I received today!! Lol!

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:57 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Incredible morning, even though, I didn't pull the trigg
Bummer, but it sounds like a fun morning working lots of birds. Did you have dekes out when that bird walked away? Otherwise, just turkeys being turkeys

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:09 pm
King of Spring

Yep! Avian 1/4 strut and a breeding hen.... The ONLY thing i can think of.. He didn't like the Jake deke..... But honestly... Im not sure if he could even see it, from where he was... But either of those reasons, could be reasonable!!

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:11 pm
King of Spring

Great day.

Earl

Wed May 12, 2021 5:40 am