View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:27 am

Wingbone calls 
Poult

Post Wingbone calls
I'm looking to make some wingbone calls this season if I'm blessed to kill a bird. Looking for some ideas. Let's see what yall have.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk.Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."-Fred Bear

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:26 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Wingbone calls
Lots of how-to info available through internet search. I will share my experience:
- Supposedly hen wing bones make a better hen yelp while gobbler wing bones make a better gobbler yelp. I have made both and didn't see much difference.
- Instead of the usual 3-bone call using the two small bones (radius and ulna) and the large bone (humerus), you can just use the two small bones. Not as impressive looking but makes pretty similar sound
- For me a wingbone call is the hardest to use to CONSISTENTLY make a good yelp. I can make a pretty good yelp if you let me "warm up" a little. Much like instinctively shooting a recurve bow but I digress. Unfortunately the turkeys are no more forgiving of practice yelps than the deer are of practice shots! I have not had what I can truthfully call success with a wingbone call. I did get what I think was actually a shock gobble once, but of course you can get that by slamming a truck door or from a train whistle.
- I do recommend making one. It is fun, they look good, and it is rewarding to use the whole turkey. Some other ways I have found to use things which are usually discarded: Save the fan to put on a decoy (this has accounted for quite a few of my successes). Save a whole wing to strum against a tree to simulate a hen flying down (may have helped me once). Save the legs and use to make a stew (quite good). Save wing feathers to fletch arrows. Especially useful if you shoot a recurve "off the shelf."
- Good luck finding some "raw materials" this year!
-

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:15 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Wingbone calls
I have played with a bunch of them but a 3 piece with a goose bone mouth piece is what works for me

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm