View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:58 am

Coyote Locator Call 
King of Spring

Post Coyote Locator Call
Anybody using the coyote call to locate / shock gobble birds?
I was wondering, do you think that howling would alert the gobbler and make them steer clear of that area thinking there’s a coyote over there?

Or am I giving the birds too much credit and are they just shock gobbling to a sound and not making a connection w a possible danger?

Yeh, this is a lot of the kinda stuff I sit around thinking about lately.

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:48 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Coyote Locator Call
I'm not sure that Turkey's make that association. I think its just a loud sound that sets them off. I've used Goose calls and made them gobble. That said I've had both yotes and Foxes come right into my calling looking for that yelping hen. A few have died because of that over the years.

Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:14 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I think i is the loudness that makes them gobble, no matter what the species call is.

Having heard them gobble to saw mill whistles, train whistle, coyotes, hawks and crows, pileated 'peckers. , hen turkey, dogs barking , car horns, bad mufflers, motorcycles, door slamming, car alarms, cell phones (UGH!!) etc etc etc i say use whatever make you happy.....and sometimes they just gobble when they feel like it. Or dont to anything

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:47 am
King of Spring

I agree, They shock gobble when they are Shocked. Any loud sound can do it. I think high pitched works better than low, but thunder works too, but maybe it has sound I can't hear. Yotes are around and may make them gobble, but I wouldn't hunt where you called and shocked them with a yote call. Once you locate one I'd move to a new location to hunt them. Turkey are weary enough without them keeping an eye out for a coyote.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 am
Jake

Last spring, every time the coyotes started barking or howling, the gobbling immediately stopped. With all of the other locator calls out there, I would avoid the coyote call. I hear barred owls regularly around my place, but have yet to hear a gobble when they are talking. The geese & crows seem to shock gobble them the best. Now if someone would invent a thunder call, they would make some money. I heard gobbling in late July during thunderstorms

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:18 pm
King of Spring

Agree with SIYGE, That on Quantico when the Yotes would howl the gobbles would stop. What I observed those that would stop the yotes were within 300 yards. But I heard yotes howl from afar and a bird would gobble or continue to gobble near by. I have seen a few times yotes sneaking in on turkeys but when the turkey or turkeys seen the yote they would do the alarm putt the yotes reaction is funny all tensed up coming in but when they hear the alarm putt its like thier muscles go to jelly and thier expression is a, dang nab it and then walk off. The turkeys have let them get as 30 yards before alarm putting.

But yea like others said they will gobble at many different loud sharp noice. One just never knows. One of the great mysteries of turkey's and turkey hunting.

Earl

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:19 am
King of Spring

Think I’ll stick w my owl hooter, but gonna try a goose call this season. I get a lot of birds gobbling at geese at sunrise.

I was looking at the video of Harrison using his Owl Screamer call (video on his FB page) and he did a Pileated WP call w it, too.
I broke out my old Walter Parrot Mod 8 Pileated call and realized I can do a pretty decent owl scream w that call!!
Should be fun shock gobbling this season for sure!

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:55 am
King of Spring

Any high pitched call will probably make them shock gobble. I have a Haydell Crow call and find it works best when I bite down on the reed a little. Makes the pitch higher and can help them elicit a gobble.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:48 pm