View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:52 pm

Looking for a little guidance 
Poult

Post Looking for a little guidance
I have a big favor to ask. I’m planning on coming down for spring Turkey this year. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for awhile but life gets in the way. A couple years ago I found out I’m going to need a liver transplant in the near future.. Right now, while I still feel up to it, I’m trying to do some things I have put off over the years. I’m from Ohio and plan on coming down mid April. I’ve done some reading and would like to hunt the Jefferson Nation Forest. (Driving down 77 over the years, I’ve always thought that part of the state was beautiful.) Right now my plan is to camp in the Stoney Fork area(west of wytheville). Seems like that puts me in an area with a fair amount of public hunting. What I’m wondering is if I’m in the right neck of the woods for Turkey. Up here it’s all mixed types of land. So I’m usually hunting edges of woods and at land. This seems to be mostly big woods. So it’s not something I’m familiar with. Am on the right track when I’m planning this or am I way off for finding a VA Turkey? Not looking for anyone’s best spots. Just help making sure I’m planning this properly. As right now, it looks like I’ll be able to come down for thee or four days. Probably drive down on a Sunday and hunt during the week. I appreciate any and all help. Hoping to at least give myself a chance at one. Really looking forward to camp out after this winter is over. Also, I’d love to provide info for deer and Turkey up here if anyone ever needs it. I’ve almost everywhere up here in my 44 years. Thanks
PS: don’t wait for things. If you want to do something. Find a way to make it happen. Life is always full of surprises

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:17 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Looking for a little guidance
I don't know enough about that area to meaningfully help you. Perhaps others will contact you and will do so by PM (private messages) as a public message /post discussion is not the best way to handle this type of inquiry IMO. good luck

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:41 pm
Poult

Thank you though. I was a little hesitant to make the post. Sometimes these don’t go well., especially from a non res hunter. Like I said, I’m not looking for someone to drop GPS coordinates to a spot. Just looking to find out if I’m on the right track. If someone were to ask me public land deer hunting up here and asked about a particular area. I could let them know if it’s worth their or maybe a part part of the state for them. My hope is, by going on weekdays and choosing a large chunk of land. I won’t be stepping on too many toes.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:19 pm
Poult

My other hunt was mule deer out west. That may prove a little tougher to make happen. I was able to figure some things out with harvest date for that. Which now makes me wonder if the state of VA has similar info for turkeys. Ohio keeps that date for deer. I guess I have something to research.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:23 pm
King of Spring

Ben, afraid I’m not gonna be much help re: hunting Natl Forest, but I would suggest contacting the VDGIF and get in touch w a Biologist who focuses on turkey. Ask them about the area you are planning on hunting or if they can recommend a better region. They would be a great resource.
Good luck to you in all aspects.
Tim

https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/turkey/

Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm
Poult

Thanks. I will do that

Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:51 pm
King of Spring

I do believe Va provides spring harvest figures for every county in the state on their website. If you have an area sorta picked out, you can figure out what county it is and then go to the website and see what the harvest numbers were for that county for a few years and see if they are trending up or down and take it from there.

PS. Here is last years info: https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/turke ... stsummary/

Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:27 am
Longbeard

I think TScottW99 hunts Bland County which borders Wythe. Maybe send him a PM

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:24 am
Poult

tut wrote:
I do believe Va provides spring harvest figures for every county in the state on their website. If you have an area sorta picked out, you can figure out what county it is and then go to the website and see what the harvest numbers were for that county for a few years and see if they are trending up or down and take it from there.

PS. Here is last years info: https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/turke ... stsummary/

Thank you. I did find that and it was helpful. Based on what I found, I think I’m on the right path for what I want to do. I went and locked in a campsite. It will just be nice to get out there and give it a try. I do appreciate the help. Like I said earlier, if you have questions about Ohio. Pls let me know. I’ll be happy to help in any way I can

Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 pm