View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:08 pm

Have I waited too long to find ammo??? 
Jake

Post Have I waited too long to find ammo???
I picked up a 20ga 870 Rem pump last summer, thinking I may use it with 3" shells and TSS for turkeys this spring. Not thinking the ammo shortage would hit shotgun shells, I waited until today to start looking. I mean 2 months ahead of time, come on. I want to try some Federal 20 3" TSS in #7, or #8 shot. Big internet guys are out, but I have found some Browning 3", 20ga 1 1/2 oz #7 and #9 mixed shot shells. Anyone tried these? Are the Browning labels as good as those by Fed? Would like to get some opinions please before the Browning's dry op.

Thanks
Charlie

Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:47 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Have I waited too long to find ammo???
Charlie, yea the ammo situation bleak. But the browning from personal pattering from my guns are not as good as Fed and Apex. Got the wife the SS 410. With the factory choke the Apex patterns better.

Earl

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:49 am
King of Spring

crsides wrote:
I picked up a 20ga 870 Rem pump last summer, thinking I may use it with 3" shells and TSS for turkeys this spring. Not thinking the ammo shortage would hit shotgun shells, I waited until today to start looking. I mean 2 months ahead of time, come on. I want to try some Federal 20 3" TSS in #7, or #8 shot. Big internet guys are out, but I have found some Browning 3", 20ga 1 1/2 oz #7 and #9 mixed shot shells. Anyone tried these? Are the Browning labels as good as those by Fed? Would like to get some opinions please before the Browning's dry op.

Thanks
Charlie

I bought a box last year to run out of my 870 20 gauge just to try it out. To me it patterned very similar to the old Federal Heavyweight in size 7. Yes I would hunt with it for sure. BTW, I am not a fan of blended ammo, but I think its not bad at all.

PS. For those thinking about trying 3rd Degree, don't waste your money. Longbeard ammo is much much better. I think in my 870 I averaged circa 140 hits of number 6 Longbeard using a factory Remington Super Full Turkey (.572).

Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:57 pm
King of Spring

I like the Winchester ammo, in lead. Might want to give it a try. Shortage, guess that is always why I have a little reserve.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:54 pm
Jake

I found a couple boxes of Federal TSS #9's. Will let you know.

Charlie

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:45 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Not seeing a box of any shotgun shells in any store where I live. Lady who runs a big walmart sporting goods dept here told me yesterday that "Walmart orders all shells a year in advance" and she assumed that she would get some turkey loads before season, as they had every other turkey hunting item on the shelves.

Rural King , Academy and other ox stores have zero. I read where you could mail order shells from Federal, but I tried to and everything was out of stock. Sort pf did this shopping out of curiosity, as I have enough for the rest of my life on hand already due to bargain shopping at the end of seasons for some time. Since I m a lead shot only luddite the olds one will suit me fine.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:47 am
King of Spring

I agree with GN, lead only here too. I find it crazy that ammo is just gone. Weird. However it did happen under a prior administration by having the Government buy up all the ammo manufacturing capability. Since that time I always build a small stock pile for just in case. Hope you find more of what you need.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:27 am
King of Spring

https://tssshot.com/collections/shop/pr ... ey-20gauge

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Local Walmart just got a couple cases of the Winchester super x loads. Twelve guage
Three inch 5 and 4. 1 7/8 oz. $4.86 for ten. Fairly priced I thought.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I went to a large gun show locally on saturday. Lots of ammo available there, and some was at reasonable prices; some at ridiculous prices. Bought an older box of Winchester Supreme 1 3/4 oz for 15$, which I thought it was high but i wanted them. Gun prices crazy high, and I doubt many were bought or sold

- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:03 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
I went to a large gun show locally on saturday. Lots of ammo available there, and some was at reasonable prices; some at ridiculous prices. Bought an older box of Winchester Supreme 1 3/4 oz for 15$, which I thought it was high but i wanted them. Gun prices crazy high, and I doubt many were bought or sold

The prices out there for a basic Remington 870 Express whether it be 20 or 12 gauge is insane right now. I think ammo crazy prices is dropping a tad unless you are trying to find .410 ammo of any kind.

Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 am