View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Unforgettable quotes 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

a few: "YOU FORGOT TO TAKE THE SAFETY OFF"....by Freddy to anonymus hunter , luckily the hunter recovered in time to down the bird. "NEVER LEAVE A GOBBLING BIRD TO LOOK FOR ONE THAT ISN"T"...I guess that is something I say to other folks 25 times each season. " HOW ARE WE GOIN TO PICK OUT THE BIGGEST ONE?" son to me while staring at 100 TEXAS Rio turkeys roosted in front of us and backlight by a brightening eastern sky; we did..."DAD, YOU NEVER TOLD ME IT WAS THIS GREAT A THRILL" ,son after first bird on first hunt 30 minutes out of the truck at 3 pm. "I HAVE NEVER KILLED A TURKEY LIKE THIS ONE BEFORE" freddy , on three different occassions...WHAT DID HE GOOBBLE TO THAT TIME? IT WAS MY KIDS ALARM CLOCK...anonymus on a hunt close to the house in the rain. I AM NOT GOING TO CLIMB THAT *&^%$ MOUNTAIN< NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES HE GObBLES UP THERE..me, many many many times; I climb it every time though. "I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN 20 YDS CLOSER to the top of the ridge" infinite times..by me..."I A M NOT GOING TO MAKE ANOTHER CALL FOR TWENTY MINUTES" by me, just seconds before i relent and call again. "I KNOW EXACTLY THE TREE HE IS IN" several pepople have said this to me, and in some cases they knew that of which they spoke..."THERE IS NO WAY HE IS GOING TO COME ACROSS THAT HUGE GREEN FIELD TO LOOK FOR A VOICE IN THE WOODS" me ,most of the time this is true....I KNOW THERE ARE BIRdS HERE I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WILL NOT GOBBLE....hmmmm,a thousand times ....."GOBBLENOW YOU %$#@$%#$#$%" by me, everytime I have killed a tough one. I REALLY DID NOT DESERVE THIS ,about every timeI have killed one. IF I A M LUCKY I CAN FIND THE STRIKER SOMEWHERE DOWN THE SIDE OF THIS MOUNTAIN < CAUSE WHENI GOT UP TO RUN AFTER HIM I KNOW IT WAS IN MY LAP"many times by me ....IF YOU WILL JUST BE PATIENT AND SIT STILL, HE IS LIKELY TO RUN HIS HEAD UP OVER THAT EDGE" by me , at least 50 times to my nephew in his early years and others on beginner hunts . .... and to endthis on the most comman and greatest quote in the turkey woods when you take someone and really want them to kill a bird"CAN"T YOU SEE HIM? HE IS STANDING RIGHT BESIDE THAT LITTLE OAK< RIGHT BETWEEN THOSE SPLIT DOGWOODS< SUrELY YOU SEE HIM>>>LEAN THIS WAY A BIT< WAIT< DON"T MOVE< NOW YO SEE HIM DON"T YOU> RIGHT THERE!! HE IS STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE TWO DOGWOODS NOW> WAIT TILL HE RUNS HIS HEAD UP"""I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU CANNOT SEE HIM NOW......................................

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:22 am
King of Spring

Loved those by GN.. here are a couple more from one hunt last spring..

I don't figure he will ever fly that Creek, but if you hear wings you get your gun on your shoulder

by me to my hunting buddy not 10 seconds before a gobbler who I know had gobbled 400 times flew a 30 ft wide creek.. he was not in a good position and couldn't get scooted around the tree and get the gun up to his shoulder quick enough .. bofore I saw him step into view..

be still I see him what I said next, I was facing the turkey and the hunter was facing me .. with a big Oak tree to his back..

you'r gonna have to shoot him left handed, move now and get ready what I said next when I realized that the bird was moving that way and had went out of sight and we could move..

Can you see him yet what the hunter said to me cause the bird was still out of sight as I was purring to try to get him a shot

There he is Kill him, Kill him, Kill him what I said and got louder each time..

I can't see him yet his reply

You better kill him the last thing I said before I clucked real loud to raise his head up one more time , this time I knew my buddy saw him cause I saw him put his cheek on the stock .. and then the gun went off.. and knocked him almost over cause he was not used to shooting left handed :)

man I get too excited some times

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:13 pm
Post Re: Dad! Just start shootin !
Coach wrote:
My daughter said this on a squirrle hunt when she was 6.

Re: Dad! Just start shootin !
Coach

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:49 am
Longbeard

Well, that was one way to shoot up $14 worth of shells

Anonymous (don't want the wife to find out how much he spent on those Nitro shells) after emptying the gun on a coyote that walked by us at about 7 yards

Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:34 am
Boss Gobbler

Amy - "Now?"
Freddy - "Shoot!"
Amy - Now?"
Freddy - "Shooooot!!!!!"
Amy's Shotgun - "Boooom!"
Dead Turkey - "Flop, Flop, Flop!" :lol:

Amy's first ever day of turkey hunting in the fall when we had 3 hens approach our setup at about 10 yards.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:42 am
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

My father as he gave me his .410 to shoot my first squirrel (maybe 8 years old) after he acted as if he could not see the squirrel on a limb. I had tagged along for a couple of years before he let me shoot and a couple more before he let me carry a gun. That memory will never leave me.

I never heard it, but I'm sure he was thinking it
"What else do you want me to make it do....stick its head down your barrell?" Freddy when he callled a bird to about 6-8 steps from me before I shot. He was on the bird so fast that I'm still not sure if I hit it or he beat the shot to the bird and choked it to death.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:35 am
Boss Gobbler

CharlieDog... that was a fun hunt!!! That gobbler jumping up on that limb and staring us down for what seemed like an eternity was pretty awesome! BTW, I slowed up and let the shot get there first! :wink:

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:53 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Still to new at hunting to have many quotes. I really look forward to being able to reflect back and remember fondly the funny things that have happened.

I do have a funny fishing quote though. Went to my brother’s place up on the Chicahominy River. My two girls in the boat with me. The oldest, probably 8 or 9 years old says; "Daddy, I know people name their boats, but why did you name yours Jon?" If you haven't guessed, I owned a 12' Jon Boat.

Another funny, same girl with her sister. I was fishing a small pond behind my Grandparents place in Springhope NC. I caught a bass that was 14" long. I told the girls to go up to the fence behind Grandma's and call to her and ask if she wanted the fish. They were yelling so excitedly that grandma came running out. “What’s wrong, what's wrongâ€

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:16 pm
King of Spring

Longbeard Mag....... I had forgot I said that while we were rolling around in Freddys nest laughing...........folks the yote was running (tnx Scott now Stacey knows too) :lol:

Max

Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

"Well, I don't think he is going to stay in that tree for 2 weeks, do you"?

I roosted my first bird 2 weeks before the season started, and called a friend who was quite experienced at killing turkeys. That was his reply.

[/b]

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:15 pm
King of Spring

" You missed a turkey on the ground with a shotgun?!!"

What my uncle said after I told him I had missed my first spring Gobbler. This is the same uncle that shot a gobbler in one of va's first spring seasons, threw him in the trunk, got home and opened it up and the gobbler jumped out and he had to run him down in the front yard!

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:27 pm
Poult

The one that comes to my mind happened two years ago when my then 6 yr old daughter accompanied me on her first hunt of any kind. It was a pretty slow day, and took a while before I knocked down my first bird. She and her older sister retrieved it for me. I was worried about how she would react to seeing an animal killed for the first time.

When they returned, she was admiring the bird and said, "Daddy, I think I'm gonna give this dove a name."

I lowered my head and reluctantly asked her what she was going to name it, fearing that it would be something nice and sweet, and I would have to explain to her again why I hunted.

She said, "I'm going to call it ..... 'dinner' !"

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:11 am
Jake

What my buddy told me after killing a starving long bearded turkey.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:06 pm
King of Spring

"where the hell are all the trees...there can't be a gobbler within 5 miles of this place...it's like hunting on the dang moon!"

diablo to limbhanger as we ran up the side of a 1 mile 65degree hillside
"if i'd known we were going to do windsprints up this dang mountain i would've stretched a little more down at the truck"

diablo to limbhanger as we realized we were right under several roosted gobblers the second day of the 2004 season
"sit still or you're gonna @$%!!!$ this up"
(ps - cudos to limbhanger...he sat stone still on the nasty mess of roots and rocks for over 35 minutes....that's determination)

diablo to limbhanger during his first hunt "inside a pop up blind"
"do you need a lifesaver?!"
(a little fidgetty an uncomfortable inside the blind)

ahhhhhh - what great memories and what fun!!!!!

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:24 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post too funny
these things are hilarious, and Iagree with Vol Doug that this is a great thread....

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:41 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next