View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Unforgettable quotes 
2 Year Old

[aahhhhwwww crap!!! something is moving under my foot.]

What my friend said when walking through a grassy creek bottom. Actually, he stepped on a bird, whan he lifted his foot it flushed in his face sending him backwards and on his back. That was years ago and I still laugh everytime I think of it.[/quote]

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:30 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I could write a few books here...trying to pick the best one would be impossible.....I'm thinking..

Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:10 am
Jake

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:20 pm
King of Spring

That's a 21 lb bird

One excited fellow weighing a recent spring gobbler on what seemed to be a new set of scales. A second weighing later in the morning on another set of scales had the same bird around 17 lbs.

Quote:
What dove?

Often stated by me when invited on dove hunts. Those of you who know me also know just how blind I really am.

Quote:
I'm starting to get used to the height.

By a newcomer to treestand hunting siting 6 feet up in a tree.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:38 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

If that's a hen it sure gobbled good and I've never seen one that weighed 21 lbs with waddles and a set of spurs before

Said by me a couple years ago after some young marine at the checkstation at Quantico who was checking my bird in told me he thought it was a bearded hen because it's wings were too black.. :shock:

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:53 am
Longbeard

Post Dad! Just start shootin !
My daughter said this on a squirrle hunt when she was 6.

Coach

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:05 pm
Boss Gobbler

Dale... the "What dove?" is priceless! That was a fun day!!

The treestand quote is funny too... Dale has to use an oxygen mask he goes up so high! I showed Amy that tree and where you were and she said "He's nuts!" :lol:

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Freddy. I think these birds would appreciate it if we left the county.

GN said to me after a pretty incredible few hours in middle TN.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Not sure if this was his exact words but Freddy after we went and checked on Dale after a hunt. Freddy said words to this effect when we saw Dale at least 35 feet up in the tree. We had scanned the hill for him and could not see him, we were not looking high enough. Freddy you are right he needs an oxygen mask!

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:45 pm
King of Spring

just remembered this one my daughter said to me on 5-4-98 after she listed to me whine about not being able to call in a gobbler after 11 straight days of gobbler hunting in WV...
"But daddy...isn't that the fun of it?!"

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:36 pm
King of Spring

"Oops, turkey fall down!" My 2 1/2 year old daughter's commentary while watching a turkey hunt on the Outdoor Channel with me a couple years ago.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:30 am

My daugter, who was 5 at the time", said this to me after I owl hooted and had a bird gobble back at us from less than 75 yards.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:12 pm
King of Spring

Hit the deck, BIRDS!

Said by me, in another one of my "blind" moments. I was invited to hunt a farm with a landowner last year several times. On the third trip out, we were walking back to the house mid-morning when we crested a hill on the edge of a field. I immediately spotted several large red-headed birds, black in coloration, walking in the field. After the land owner got up off the ground to take a peak at what I saw, the laughter could be heard for miles. Apparently, what I thought were turkeys were actually buzzards! Haven't lived that one down yet.

Quote:
Isn't that a bird sleeping?

Said again by me, to the same landowner, on a cold, rainy morning two years ago again walking back to the house. We had paused for a moment at the bottom of a steep hill looking out into a field. I don't know what caused me to look up, but when I did, out on a limb about 20 feet above us was a turkey with it's head tucked under its wing. I whispered to the landowner, "Isn't that a bird sleeping?" He said, "Where?" I said "Look straight up!" Sure enough, it was a small gobbler with about a 5 in beard. Talk about a weird position. While the two of us are struggling about what to do, the bird actually pulls its head out from under its wing, looks down at us, stretches, and then causually flies over the top of the hill.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:59 am
Profile YIM
Jake

"I couldn't shoot him ........all i could see clearly was the head and neck"??????

cookie boy on his first spring turkey hunt.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:59 am
Jake

took my college roomate on his fist turkey hunt.......on the way there i'm giving him the spill,.... don't move, don't even twitch......iF HE POPS UP AWAY FROM WHERE YOUR GUN IS POINTED, WAIT TILL HE GOES BEHIND A TREE BEFORE MOVING YOUR GUN.

So the bird is coming in....40 yards....30 yards....20 yards...he pauses to gobbles, still no shot......10 yards......5 yards..... finally he flushes and flies away unharmed.

WHY didn't YOU SHOOT?

"He never went behind a tree"

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:12 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next