View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:50 pm

Hen/Poult Survey (Q) 
King of Spring

Post Hen/Poult Survey (Q)
Well here it is. Not looking to good. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the States survey.

Total birds seen: 118
Hens: 37
Poults: 58
Gobbler with 7" plus beard: 16
Gobbler less then 7" beard: 7
Miles driven: 102
Hen/Poult ratio: 1.56
Total birds per mile driven: 1.15

Earl

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:29 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Hen/Poult Survey (Q)
Thanks for that. However, is that good, bad, or average for the Q?
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am
King of Spring

Vic, that is bad. Most all biologists agree a 3.0 hen/poult ratio is needed just to sustain the population and higher to increase the population. On average the range on the Q is as low 2.2 to a couple years of 6.1

Talked with VA new head turkey biologist yesterday (Katie Martin) they are continuing the State survey till the end of August. This year they started a survey that allows anyone in the state to report poult sightings.
She seems very pro active to implement some management practices finally that was brought up in the 2012 VA wild turkey management plan.

Earl

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:43 am
Longbeard

Earl,
Katie is the real deal. she will do a great job in Norman's position but I will really miss her in the VA quail program.

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 pm
King of Spring

I know we have discussed why the turkey population is declining. One is over harvest, it takes Toms to make poults, not jakes. I also have been finding and hearing about dead turkeys. I think I will start trying to take out some of the predators hurting turkey numbers. It is one thing I can help with. I have some dog proof traps coming. I plan to put out a couple traps for fox/yotes. I hope I can put a couple on the ground this fall. Maybe I can help a few more survive. I really feel this is an issue. No money in trapping anymore. Maybe that will turn around but it doesn't look good.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:54 am
King of Spring

I know we have discussed why the turkey population is declining. One is over harvest, it takes Toms to make poults, not jakes. I also have been finding and hearing about dead turkeys. I think I will start trying to take out some of the predators hurting turkey numbers. It is one thing I can help with. I have some dog proof traps coming. I plan to put out a couple traps for fox/yotes. I hope I can put a couple on the ground this fall. Maybe I can help a few more survive. I really feel this is an issue. No money in trapping anymore. Maybe that will turn around but it doesn't look good.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:55 am