View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:47 pm

PA Turkey 
King of Spring

Post PA Turkey
Attachment:
PA Turkey1.jpg
PA Turkey1.jpg [ 167.37 KiB | Viewed 1784 times ]

Went back to my friends house in Pennsylvania to hunt his farm. I took some advice from you all and set some rules for us. I told my friend that as the designated hunter that he should allow me to call. That keeps the turkey unaware of his presence and they thus focus on me. He agreed and we went hunting, my son included, this past Friday and Saturday. Friday was a bust, rained hard in the morning and we never heard a thing. Saturday was much better. We went to a different area to listen and we hear birds gobbling in two different directions on the edge of his farm. So at least we know there are some birds in the area. We set up and I cold call every 10 to 15 minutes. We don't hear a thing from the right but occasionally hear a response from our left. Seems to be getting a little closer, but slowly. Around 0700 a crow flies over cawing loudly. A turkey gobbles to our right pretty dang close. I tell my son to get ready and he does. I wait a moment and do 2 clucks on my box call, gobble. I set the box call down because the birds are getting even closer. Soon I see some turkey coming along a stone wall in front of me to the right. They are walking on a path that will lead right in front of my son. He is tracking and moving very slowly not to alarm the birds, and I thought he didn't listen to me. Anyway, there are 4 longbeards walking in and are around 20 yards from us. The lead tom sees the decoy and goes into a 3/4 strut. I was going to call to try and get him to raise his head further but it is sticking out enough. A moment later I hear a boom and the lead bird falls at the shot. My son stays put covering his prize with his gun. The other three birds scramble and I start to call real aggressive. The 3 toms regroup and start to attack the lead birds flopping corpse. My friend who is facing the other way turns hard to the right and takes a shot. One of the three flies off to parts unknown. I call hard again and the 2 birds regroup and attack the downed bird again. My friend takes another shot and down goes our second bird. It's flopping on top of my son's bird. The last tom decides this place isn't safe anymore and leaves.

It's 0720 and we have 2 nice long beards on the ground on the last day of PA's turkey season. Great way to end a season. Both birds weigh around 20 lb and have 7/8" spurs. My son's bird has a 9" beard and friend's turkey has a 10" beard. Was a great hunt and soon will be great eats.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:01 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: PA Turkey
Now that is a real TURKEY HUNT!Sounds like you played it out just right . And a hunt you will may never be able to top or duplicate. Good job all the way around...

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:46 pm
King of Spring

Vic, that is one of the best turkey hunts, especially on the last day of the season. Very few if any could have pulled that off.

Congratulations to your son and friend on some stealthy hunting. Oh yea and way to take charge of the calling, great job.

Earl

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm
King of Spring

Awesome. Congrats all around!

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:06 pm
King of Spring

Nice job Vic.. you need to start carrying a video camera man.. especially if you are the designated caller :)

I too went to PA this spring.. but I didn't fill a tag.. should have but that's another story and video ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm
King of Spring

Nice Job Vic, your season rounded into fine shape, congratulations and left some good seed for next year.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:12 pm
King of Spring

I’m planning a trip to PA this season. Gonna be near Wilkes-Barre. Got a buddy w some private near there.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 pm
King of Spring

I was hunting about 45 minutes north of Scraton. Nice area up there.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:17 pm
King of Spring

Vic wrote:
I was hunting about 45 minutes north of Scraton. Nice area up there.
V

Vic, is buying an out-of-state license pretty easy? Never hunted outside VA

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm
King of Spring

Probably about the same as buying your in state license. I just went to WalMart for one and paid the extra money and got my license. You can do the same online.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:25 am
King of Spring

Hey Vic, lets not be calling to the same birds this spring in PA. I will be hunting the Harford and Milford areas. :D

Earl

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:03 am
King of Spring

I’ll hopefully be somewhere near Wilkes-Barre

Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:42 pm
King of Spring

My friend's farm is in Nicholson area. It doesn't have a grocery store but a couple gun shops. Works for me.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:32 am