View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 am

New Wildlife Management At Quantico 
King of Spring

Post New Wildlife Management At Quantico
This past March the lead field biologist started a program to get rid of the fescue grass in many of the fields on Quantico. She got one of the other young biologist there to go to a school to get his chemical license for spraying the fields. So far they have just been plowing and disking the fields with a lot of work ahead. They will burn and spay over the next year.

The other biologist drew up the plan and is hard charging on getting it done. She is driving circles around me with the tractor. She named the project Quail Restoration Project. The plan is to get rid of the fescue and get more of the native grasses, flower and brushy edging. Which will be good for all the wildlife.
It is from what I seen a lot of tractor field work, clearing out access roads to older fields but the two female biologists are really high on getting it accomplished.

Earl

Thu May 28, 2020 10:17 am
King of Spring

Post Re: New Wildlife Management At Quantico
Where's the Like button? !!

Thu May 28, 2020 12:12 pm
King of Spring

That is great news, getting someone who can make a difference and is. Wish the people on APG did some of that. They put out a lot of money getting non indigenous trees cut down, took out a lot of sweet gum and holly. Other than that they have done nothing for the populations on post. Sad isn't it.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu May 28, 2020 3:16 pm
King of Spring

Great stuff there. Va is trying to get rid of fescue on various state game lands and state forests also in order to increase quail populations. Doing lots of controlled burns as well. Every little bit helps for sure. That said, the private land where I have been hunting for years has gone from 2 to 3 covies 4 years ago to zero now. The owner planted switchgrass about 5 years ago in a big way as part of a CRP program. It came in so thick that quail couldn't navigate through it. Decent for turkeys and great habitat for deer. Crap for quail apparently.

Fri May 29, 2020 8:01 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

"" The owner planted switchgrass about 5 years ago in a big way as part of a CRP program. It came in so thick that quail couldn't navigate through it. Decent for turkeys and great habitat for deer. Crap for quail apparently.[/quote]""""

Watched switchgrass destroy 15 coveys of wild quail om a 1000 acre tract I used to hunt about elusively. Took three years after switch was introduced about a decade ago and not a quail to be found anywhere on it after first three year of it. .

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri May 29, 2020 9:05 am