View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:44 am

Should There Be A Fall Turkey Season 
Longbeard

Post Re: Should There Be A Fall Turkey Season
Superjake wrote:
This talk is a little like re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic. The existential threat to turkey hunting is falling hunter numbers. We are getting older as a group (I bet nobody in this forum is under 40), and not replacing with new hunters. To attract and retain as much as we can, we should be trying whatever is reasonable to increase turkey hunting opportunities, not decrease. Talk of banning spring (or fall) hunting, certain weapon or ammo types, etc. that we don't personally value does not help that cause.

Biologically sound game laws are obviously important. I think most of the mid-Atlantic states (PA, MD, VA) have them about right. The primary reason turkey populations have been declining in recent years are: 1) continued disappearance of habitat, 2) lack of predator control, and 3) cold wet weather the past few springs. That's what we should focus on. Can't do much about #3, but maybe the first two.

Damn no one under 40??.....I’m a lively 35!!!! Haha

Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:57 pm
Poult

Vaturkeyhntr wrote:
Damn no one under 40??.....I’m a lively 35!!!! Haha

I stand corrected. :oops:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:40 pm
Longbeard

Superjake wrote:
This talk is a little like re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic. The existential threat to turkey hunting is falling hunter numbers. We are getting older as a group (I bet nobody in this forum is under 40), and not replacing with new hunters. To attract and retain as much as we can, we should be trying whatever is reasonable to increase turkey hunting opportunities, not decrease. Talk of banning spring (or fall) hunting, certain weapon or ammo types, etc. that we don't personally value does not help that cause.

Biologically sound game laws are obviously important. I think most of the mid-Atlantic states (PA, MD, VA) have them about right. The primary reason turkey populations have been declining in recent years are: 1) continued disappearance of habitat, 2) lack of predator control, and 3) cold wet weather the past few springs. That's what we should focus on. Can't do much about #3, but maybe the first two.

I don't know where u hunt but I see more bird hunters now than ever. I've been in this game since '83 and there are a lot more turkey hunters now than ever. My opinion

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:43 pm
King of Spring

Roy, yes the turkey hunter numbers are increasing here at Quantico the last 3 years. Good to see. Just this past 2 week January season they have had the most hunters and hours recorded since the reintroduction of the Jan season.

Earl

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:58 am
King of Spring

Superjake, I agree with your last 3 points.

Earl

Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:57 am
2 Year Old

I attended a fur sale this morning and i noticed two things that really bother me. 1. the amount of coyotes. 2 . the lack of grey foxes. coyotes are a gigantic problem right now concerning deer, turkey and other game populations. i would love to see a bounty placed on coyotes by our game commissions, i know im probably dreaming, but the prices being paid to fur trappers for coyotes is ludicrious for the amount of effort it requires to put up a pelt

Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:45 pm
King of Spring

I wish the Government would open fur trade with Russia and China again. I think that is one reason for the fur prices being so low. Sad.

I have only dabbled a little with trapping this year. Not for furs mind you, but for reducing numbers. I have taken 9 raccoon out of my side yard, 40 yards from the house. There are still a couple running around. My neighbors are happy with this removal for their chicken's sake. I also think they are really hard on turkey nests, dang egg suckers. I'd guess they'd kill a hen too if they can get hold of one. I know in a chicken coop they will kill all they can. From what I understand they rip the chicken's head off. Anyway, I have a couple or 3 traps purchased for yotes and fox. I need to stain and wax them so I'll be ready for next year.

My buddy and I did some calling for fox this year too. I shot 2 and he shot around 15. Most of his were shot from his back deck over a bait pile. He's been using his 17 WSM to good effect. I shot mine with a 22 WMR. Anyway, we're trying to reduce predator numbers so the Turkey have a chance to multiply.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 am