View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:40 pm

Sounding Good 
King of Spring

Post Sounding Good
Took a break from remodeling this morning and went to the base.

Heard 8.

Earl

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:49 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Sounding Good
Went out yesterday morning and didn’t hear any gobbles. It was a tad chilly, 32, but still was a beautiful morning.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:10 pm
King of Spring

Been out the past 2 weekends and haven't heard a gobble yet. But heading home this morning I saw a strutter out in a field

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:58 pm
King of Spring

Saw 10 to 12 birds on the roost. One was strutting on his limb, glass showed long beard. As I went to move on I heard him gobble twice. Not a fired up gobble, but a gobble none the less. Saw them later on the ground and it appeared to be one LB, 4 or 5 jakes and 5 or 6 hens. It's on.............
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:13 pm
Longbeard

They were gobbling good this morning. Good roost gobbling with a few after fly down.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:38 pm
King of Spring

Heard one gobble twice this morning

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:51 pm
Jake

On Friday, at the plant where I work, I heard 4-5 Gobbling good on the roost. I went outside for my morning break and could still hear some gobbling even up to lunch time. At my house in the country, I heard 5-6 gobbling on the mountain behind the house. Didn’t hear a peep out of them once they flew down. Heard some hens clucking and a few yelps. This morning, pretty much the same. Today, I scouted some land up the road from me. I saw a gobbler run off as we approached in my neighbors four wheeler. There are turkeys all over the place on that property-I have not heard them gobbling-but my neighbor says the are strutting in the field every day.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:29 pm
Jake

This morning at work (in Roanoke Co.), there was no gobbling. Big difference in weather since Friday. It rained last night and was 40 degrees outside. At my house in Craig Co., yesterday morning it was 37 degrees and they were gobbling good while on the roost. I guess the rain shut them down.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:52 am
King of Spring

May see you in Craig county. The bases I hunt here may not be open. So a friend that comes up and hunts here with me said for me to come down and he will show me a couple of places to hunt in Craig county and the Covington area. He has also seen and heard others seeing birds and heard gobbling this past week.

Earl

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:17 am
Jake

Greyghost, I moved to our small farm at the end of last summer from the Roanoke area (Vinton) and had been hunting in National Forest in Botetourt Co. for the past several seasons. From what I’ve seen so far, there are turkeys everywhere-much more than Botetourt. I actually heard turkeys gobbling last October. I certainly look forward to this spring more so than any season.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm
King of Spring

Smokin, my friend has a farm surrounded on 3 sides by National Forest just outside of Covington. He said the turkeys have started coming back in that area the last 3 years since the State started opening up more forest land. He has seen more birds this last year then in many years past.

Earl

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:14 pm
Jake

Greyghost wrote:
Smokin, my friend has a farm surrounded on 3 sides by National Forest just outside of Covington. He said the turkeys have started coming back in that area the last 3 years since the State started opening up more forest land. He has seen more birds this last year then in many years past.

Earl

That is some beautiful country through there, I always associated Covington with Allegheny County. I actually live on the southwestern part of Craig County between Newport (Giles Co.) and New Castle. I lived in Fincastle for about 10 years in the late 90’s and hunted land that I responsible for and National Forest which bordered our property. That area was extremely crowded and the birds got call shy very quickly. I started hunting in the Buchanan area of Botetourt Co. and rarely ran into other hunters, but it was a rough hike in and the birds were scattered. I do have some National Forest behind my house now and that is where I heard the turkeys gobbling this past weekend.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:36 pm
King of Spring

Yes sir you are correct, I may have not articulated well. Covington and friend are in Allegheny county, he also hunts Craig county.

Earl

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:24 am
Longbeard

Went this morning to check a property in King George and heard 4 gobbling. About 7:45 watched a 5th gobbler strut in an open bottom with a couple hens and Jakes. This bird never gobbled this morning

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 am
King of Spring

Went to Shenandoah County today to check the farm where I've had permission to hunt the last 10 years. Saw some sign at the farm, but no birds. However saw 2 strutters with several hens on the adjoining property driving in, and saw two more strutters with at least 10 hens in a field off of route 7 near Berryville Va as well driving back. Its on as they say.

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm