View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 pm

Patch And The Youth Hunter 
King of Spring

Post Patch And The Youth Hunter
Dang forgot the most rewarding hunt. It was Oct. and VA youth fall turkey day.

The day before the Saturday youth day I had Patch out late afternoon for a run. Late in the afternoon heading back to the truck Patch found some birds and broke them.
I had no one scheduled for the youth day since a grandson had a flag football tournament
That night I got a call from a wounded warrior that I knew. He wanted to take is 12 year old son out the next day and wanted to know if I knew of a good place. I told him to go buy a lottery ticket since he had some luck on his side. He has hunted spring turkey before so has a little experience. I explained the situation to him and went over basic fall calling and how to get where he had to set up. Luckily again he knew the area and found it the next morning. He got one heck of a blind built using netting material he had from Afghanistan. I mean this thing was a fort and he did it in the dark.
At 0830 I got a photo from him with his son holding up a nice jake. After they built a blind he said it was about 1/2 hour after sunup he heard a couple birds. So he said he used a box call to talk back to them. He said he continued to call like I instructed him. He thought does Earl know what he is talking about, in that to continue to repeat calling what they are saying. But he did and although his son’s gun barrel was in a figure 8 pattern he was able to pull off a 12 yard shot. His sons smile was the reward.

Earl

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:38 am