View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:30 pm

Owl Hooters 
King of Spring

Post Owl Hooters
Hey Guys,

I am still looking for the "perfect" owl hooter. I would love to do it with my voice but those of you know me know that after 2 yrs of working on it it is so-so at best. I have used most commercial hooters and a few custom ones. I am seriously thinking about trying one of Doug Camps mighty owl hooters this year. Any other suggestions? Tnx guys!

Max

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

yeah...freddy...he's the best owl hooter you will find...don't know if he is for sale or not though
:wink:

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:36 pm
King of Spring

Freddy takes up to much space in my vest..LOL!..besides I dont think Amy would sell him. Cheap labor is hard to find this day and time... :lol:

Max

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:03 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Ain't no doubt Freddy is "da bomb" when it comes to owl hooting. Maybe we could record him hooting, then sell the tapes to make money for the web site! No wait a minute, I believe electronic calls are a no no in VA. DARN! :x

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:41 pm
King of Spring

Why don't you create the perfect owl hoot, and then all of us guys will buy one from ya, and then you'll be a millionaire and you can then retire from public service!

So, what do ya think? Can you do it?

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:57 pm
Boss Gobbler

I use both the Palmer and Camp Owl. I have the Primos version not one of Doug's originals. I like the Primos because I can move the bell to affect the volume.

If you want one of the originals you better hurry. I have heard that Mrs. Camp is out of all her late husbands calls. http://www.midwestturkeycall.com still has the Camp Call listed for $19.95.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:01 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Mr Camp is going to be greatley missed! :|

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:56 pm
King of Spring

i have actually heard that the palmer hooter is the best one on the market...most realistic...most volume...
can any of you comment on this statement one way or the other?
i'ver personally never seen, not heard the palmer hooter.

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:57 pm
2 Year Old

The wood palmer hooter that HS Strut :evil: produces is pretty good. The old Dale Palmer hooters that he made before HS Strut :evil: started making them were by far the best I have ever heard....I guess when you sell out to a larger company value takes the back seat...IMO

DRS

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:41 pm
Boss Gobbler

The PAlmer wood is good. However I have an OL Lohman that is not made anymore that sounds GREAT. Now they still make one but it is not the same call that I have. It sounds pretty good and I get good volume from it. The wood barrel seems to make a better sound than the plastic type calls.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:43 am
Hody. I have an old Lohman hooter as well. It has the wooden barrel and takes a good breath to get the right pitch, but it really sounds good and has good volume. Only owl hooter I've ever used so I don't know what the newer plastic one's sound like. Wish they still made em though. I'd like to have a back up.

Kevin

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:58 am
King of Spring

which of these sounds most realistic and is the loudest from ya'll's experience?
OLD STYLE PALMER HOOTER
PRIMOS WOOD CAMP OWL
PRIMOS ACRYLIC CAMP OWL

just curious
thanks

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:59 am
King of Spring

I have the plastic palmer hoot tube by Strut ...its ok..... As far as Doug Camps products . His wife Maxine and a handful of folks that have helped Doug for years have decided to continue to build calls. So It looks like Camp Callers is still alive and well for now.. My information source is a wildlife artist who is painting some limit edidtion box calls for me right now... He is doing some for Maxine too for 2005. Good to know somethings arent changing. I will miss Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:38 pm