View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:03 am

Rain gear 
Longbeard

Post Rain gear
Making some list of things i need before this spring and number one on my list is a good rain suit.

Wanted to know what some of you all have or would recommend. I hunted out of a pop up blind 2 times last year a friend had (really nice)but dont want to lug one of those around all spring.

Something light that i can keep in my vest. i have bought those cheap ponchos but tear them up in about 5 mins of wearing them.

Going to Alabama in March and getting ready now plus I switch to 2nd shift at work so i can hunt everyday when va season opens and tired of getting soaked.

Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:38 pm
Boss Gobbler

My mother in law bought me a Field & Stream rain suit from Dick's Sporting Goods the other year. It's a two piece in Realtree HD Green. I love it. It's breathable and pretty darn quite for a rain suit. I think they run around $99 regular price. Last time I was over there (been a month or so) they had it on sale for about $70.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:03 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Hennedup, The only raingear I've really ever carried is a small travel type pop up umbrella. its about a foot long folded up and fits neatly in the bag on my vest. If its raining or threatening rain Istick it in there. It will get you back to the truck in a downpour or allow you to wait it out without a drenching. if you raise a gobble I fold it up, I don't care if I get wet callin a tom. True raingear is usually hot and or noisy and shiney. I admit I never tried any of the really high end stuff though. staying warm is usually easy in spring season so this is my compromise. :D

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:54 am
King of Spring

i prefer a good poncho so i can drape it over my turkey vest to keep all my gear dry. stay away from the cheap vinyl ones...look for the ones made out of something that looks and feels like parachute cloth...then i spray it regularly with camp dry...works great.

the other important piece of raingear that i would not go into rainy woods without is one of the camo tree umbrellas...small enough to pack in your vest...have killed a lot of turkeys out from under one of these umbrellas...

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:55 am
King of Spring

I also have the fold up umbrella that attaches to the tree. Works great. I use a camo poncho. The one I have was GI issue. Does a great job. I found out how how good it works a couple of days during dee* season. Sorry GN :lol:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:12 pm
Longbeard

thanks for the reply will be looking for the ponchos and as i dont know if i could hunt with out my vest. and any rain jacket would be way to big to cover it. seems like it ways a ton buy itself. any idea were to look for that style poncho

Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:53 pm
King of Spring

You could probably pick up one of those GI Ponchos at a surplus store. It fits nicely over my Turkey vest, and I can pull my arms back up inside and get to my vest to take out stuff. The only thing is I have to feel for what I want, can't see it.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:06 am
2 Year Old

IVE HAD THE CABELAS RAIN SUEDE FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS, I REALLY LIKE IT, BUT ITS A LITTLE HEAVY FOR HOT DAYS, I BOUGHT A PAIR OF BROWNING RAIN PANTS, AN THEY ARE GREAT WEIGH NOTHING, BUT HAVE NO POCKETS, I THINK IM GOING TO TRY THE BROWNING PACPAK THIS SPRING, MY RAIN SUEDE IS PRETTY RIPPED UP, BUT I BET I WORE THEM A FEW 1000 DAYS!

Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:32 pm
Longbeard

Check out Cabela's MT50 it does every thing they say. It's a bit pricey but I've had mine for about four or five years, it's never let me down.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:12 pm