View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

New to the group :) And I need some advice 
Poult

Post New to the group :) And I need some advice
Hello everyone. I am pumped I found such an informative forum for turkey hunting in VA. I was scanning through some posts, and thought, oh heck, I may as well register and join in on the fun. Anyway, I've been letting these things run me ragged every April and May for 18 seasons now. Easily my favorite hunt to go on, but I am running into some issues. I recently relocated from Buchanan County to Wise County in 2016. I hunted hard up on High Knob last season, with some luck, but no bird to show for it. This year, due to family, work, weather, etc. I haven't been able to scout like I'd normally do or really hear anything where I had been going up there. Also if you're familiar with it, the through road is closed from the campground to the stone mountain gate. IDK whats up with that, but what my mind said was less pressure. What the birds are sayin is nothing. haha

My questions are: Does anyone have any insight on that tract of NF? I don't want your honey hole, just a finger in the right direction.
If you live around me, are there any other decent public land spots to check out and scout around?
If you've heard birds in this area, what kind of conditions did you hear them in and roundabout location. Again, I do not want your spot. I just want some insight, as this area is essentially a foreign country to me in these woods.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:38 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: New to the group :) And I need some advice
I have hunted some in Wise Co and over into Ky some years ago. My experience is therefore limited but I would say that the best chances over there are still to come as the green gets higher up the mountains. Medium elevation hardwoods ridge is where I would prospect now and then the higher stuff later in the season. It can be some rough country but the midday birds can hear a long ways and might be by themselves later in season. It only takes one by himself to make for a great hunt in that country, as those mountain birds IMO gobble harder and come a lot further to calling than the cow pasture birds.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:30 am