View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

Spring 2018 SC 
King of Spring

Post Spring 2018 SC
Late at posting but still can't get pics from computer to IMGUR. Oh well do like we did in the old days.

Was down to north central SC for the 20-23 of March. Temp was in the upper 30's to 60 degrees one day. Gobbling was terrible but great turkey sign. Well it took me 2 days to figure these birds out and had on 2 different occasions to have one come in behind me and another from my right silently. Of course you all know how those situations end.
But on the third day i set up in fresh turkey sign and of course no gobbling. About 0930 after making some sounds on the trumpet I just happened to catch movement to my right at 45 degrees, I seen 1,2,3 and then 4 white heads come looking. They were about 60 yards out and some how got my body moved and twisted to the right as they were going to pass about 35 yards out. The lead bird was stupid enough to stop when I clucked with my mouth ( dang dentures are not compatible with mouth calls). Two of the others hung around a little and then drifted off. So got up collected the bird took some I love me pictures and oh yea the bird was a 2 year old that makes even me look like a fair hunter.
So while I enjoyed a celebratory cigar about 50 minutes I heard a gobble of all things in the opposite direction from where the others came from and retreated to.
So while one is allowed 2 birds in one day in SC I grabbed my Browning side by side and 2 shells from my vest and went back to the original set up. I made a couple clucks on the trumpet and sure enough one said hi back. Another couple minutes two white heads were coming toward me (oh yea I rested my cigar back on my vest) and sure enough a mouth cluck stopped them and the bird that was behind surrendered as he stopped in an opening about 35 yards out. Love those two year olds. So then finished my cigar.
Well I had to come back as we were starting a gobbling survey at Quantico. Over the next two weeks we finished. So back down to SC I went.
On the second morning at the same location as 2 weeks earlier, yes you guessed it, another 2 year old sacrificed its life for the honor of the hunt. But this one honored me with gobbling from the roost and gobbling and strutting coming in.

SC must have had a good hatch 2 years ago.

Will catch up later on the youth day hunt and VA 1st week hunt later. Hopefully I will have some pics.

Earl

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:47 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Spring 2018 SC
Nice report Earl on a great start to your season. You sure had the number on them down there. Congratulations again.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:02 pm
King of Spring

Hope your cigar doesn’t catch your vest on fire, though it might be worth a Bird if it did! Congrats on all the birds

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:53 pm
King of Spring

Sounds like all systems go. congrats!

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
King of Spring

Nice Job Earl .. but you know what the say .. it didn't happen without pictures :) ..

JK .. I know you don't hunt for anything other than the love of it.. pictures or not ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:01 am
King of Spring

Great job.

Maybe you need to create a mouth call for dentures. Probably make a mint.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 pm
King of Spring

WVBOY, yea the only thing pictures prove are like fish stories, they show the actual length of beard and spurs. :D But it is aggravating that for some reason I cannot get the pics from my apple PC Iphoto section to load up on IMGUR.

VIC, you got some royalty rights if that happens.

Earl

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:54 pm
King of Spring

Vic wrote:
Great job.

Maybe you need to create a mouth call for dentures. Probably make a mint.
Vic

They make one now you don't even need to put in your mouth..

https://www.reelgamecalls.com/shop/turk ... rkey-reel/

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 am
Jake

Congratulations Earl! :D

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:19 am
King of Spring

Randy, I watched his videos, I may try a tube call again. Never could get any consistency out of them just need to practice more.

Hey Nick next week I believe is going to be the week here at the Q.

Earl

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:49 pm