View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 pm

Blind Blaze Orange Requirements 
Poult

Post Blind Blaze Orange Requirements
Hi all,
Just went through the regulation manual twice and DGIF totally ignored turkey season and hunters when it comes to safety. Dont know why they skipped this, but somebody isn't doing their job. What do all of you do on your blinds during turkey season? Leave the orange on? Anyone know what DGIF THINKS is the requirement?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:49 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Blind Blaze Orange Requirements
Blaze orange is a requirement for certain firearms deer hunting only in is my understanding.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 am
Poult

this was taken directly from the game commission web site under blaze orange requirements....hope its helpful

"Hunters using ground (pop-up, chair, box, etc.) or tree stand blinds that conceal them from view must display a minimum of 100 square inches of blaze colored material, visible from 360 degrees, on the OUTSIDE of such blinds. is blaze color is in addition to any worn on the hunter’s person."

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 am
King of Spring

tabbtrader wrote:
this was taken directly from the game commission web site under blaze orange requirements....hope its helpful

"Hunters using ground (pop-up, chair, box, etc.) or tree stand blinds that conceal them from view must display a minimum of 100 square inches of blaze colored material, visible from 360 degrees, on the OUTSIDE of such blinds. is blaze color is in addition to any worn on the hunter’s person."

Regulation starts, "When hunting any species during a firearms deer season and on youth/apprentice deer hunting weekend,"

There is no blaze REQUIREMENT during spring gobbler season for blinds or person.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:58 am
Poult

Thanks for the input guys - So by leaving it totally out of the book, "it must be ok not to use orange" - don't know why they don't just address it, especially being a safety issue.

I've only been hunting 4 or 5 years now - got a late start on it in life, but have always found the regulations surrounding all hunting in Virginia confusing. For a land owner like myself combined with being newer to hunting, it's a nightmare because there are no guidelines in the book towards us - we are left to guess what we may or may not be "exempt" by. Did you know you can blast away at any fur bearing animal you see fit as a land owner - with any gun of your choice? I think I can throw a stick of dynamite at them - doesn't say I can't! The book doesn't address landowners clearly - it has seasons for furbearing and appears to be regulated, but I can decide what is a nuisance or not and take it out. I was told this by DGIF. Maybe it just stands out more to hunting newbies, but if it were made a little clearer maybe hunter numbers wouldn't be in decline. Even deer hunting they can't just say "Doe can only be taking on these days below" - they have to call it "either sex deer hunting days" - make it concrete (like orange on blinds for turkey season). I've talked to guys that have hunted their whole lives that didn't know they couldn't take a doe outside of those limited days listed.

Sorry for the rant - hope everyone finishes out the Turkey season successfully!

Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 pm