View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Youth Day 
King of Spring

Post Youth Day
Youth Day started slow but got exciting. We went into area 496 and I just set up near where I shot my bird last year. Daylight comes, nothing, not a peep. So we stay around a half hour and start walking and calling. We circle the entire area and get back to the truck. We walk back up to where we started and boom, hear gobbles back in the bottom. We back up, circle back to the deadfall we set against that morning and get ready. I start calling and hear some gobbling. After a few calls I notice they are getting closer. Soon they are real close and I tell Dale to get ready. A pair of toms come in from the left and walk right to the decoy. They raise their heads high and I am just waiting for the boom, nothing. Then they start to leave and I look over towards Dale and say you need to shoot. They were around 20 yards and he fires, I see some feathers fly and thought he tagged him. He shoots again and they are gone. It was 2 toms and a hen. We go look and can't find a bird. We look all over the place and can't find anything. His gun is shooting just slightly to the right and he may of pulled it a little too. Hope feathers is all he cut.

Another learning experience. Told him you have to be ready when they are close, can't wait to get ready. Oh well, he'll learn.

He wants to go again on Wednesday and I said he could.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:37 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Youth Day
too bad about the miss, but he got to see it up close. Maybe Wednesday will end with a bird.Good luck

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 am
King of Spring

As I recall, that gun shoots really really tight. :) Better luck on Wed for sure.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:51 pm
King of Spring

Misses going around this year it seems..

My son's friend had a chance at his first ever on Sunday.. I called him into 12 yds .. and he killed a tree that was 2 yds in front of him :(

Hang in there Dale.. remember if you have never missed a turkey then you just have not shot at enough of them yet :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 pm
King of Spring

I thought I was hot sh*t cuz I drilled my first 12 birds w/o a miss....then I missed three straight.
Hunt turkeys and you will miss. Learn from your misses.
Good luck and breathe.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 pm
King of Spring

I know it well and the feeling afterwards. And wants to get right back at it, says a lot.

Earl

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm
King of Spring

Got out early this morning. Went to an area I have never hunted before. Friend said to set up in this little meadow. We decide to just pop up a blind and sit for a piece. Walk the blind out, lower it to the ground, flap flap flap, look up and a turkey is flying away, mannnnn. Anyway, we see another couple, but they don't want to play. Tried for a few hours than hung it up. Oh well!
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:59 pm