View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:01 pm

Running Late 
King of Spring

Post Running Late
I have been scouting quite a bit as of late. Seems the turkeys are running behind schedule this year. Last year was ahead of schedule, this year behind. Always fun though. This cold spring is really throwing things off. Is this just me or are others seeing the same.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:54 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Running Late
I'm seeing the same, but my fear is that there is just not as many Turkeys period..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 am
Poult

Seems they are still in larger groups and not gobbling much on the ground. At least on my property. I have been hearing them from about 6:20 until about 6:50 and then it gets pretty quiet. On the mornings Ive been able to stay home longer I have heard them start again around 8:30. Im assuming plenty of close hens and they are finding what they need without gobbling. Hopefully the warm weather will have them in a good mood this weekend.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am
King of Spring

Way behind. No idea, but I do have a fear that there are less turkeys then in the past. Saw 7 hens two weeks ago with two gobblers. Same 7 hens were seen this week and had zero repeat zero gobblers with them??? Everything seems off. PS. The farm I hunt is friggen full of yotes. They are everywhere. For the first time, if I see a yote opening day I'm taking it down.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:24 pm
King of Spring

Yea, I saw 4 toms with 8 hens last year, and 1 tom with 8 this year. He was missing 2 tail feathers so might just be he is a fighter. Saw 4 jakes a couple times now, surprised they haven't whooped up on the tom. Maybe he is just that tough. They are also doing some power line work around here so that could also be part of the problem.

Saturday is youth day up here. Since I haven't seen too many birds up here I guess I will have to go down range and hope for the best. My boy is 14 now so I think he wants to run and gun. I know last year when birds were close they really frazzled him. Hope he handles the pressure better this year. I know one thing, his shooting is much improved, he smoked the turkey targets this year.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 pm
King of Spring

Right on time here in NH. We had eleven jakes show up a couple weeks ago. The roost gobbling sounds like a chorus. Two adult gobblers are keeping them in line.

I see some post questioning your turkey population. If you really want to have some fun with the freedom to hunt any piece of woods that is not posted you need to come up to Maine or New Hampshire.

We have had three straight years of good brood production.

Have been working at the Farm reclaiming the fields from invasive rose, olive and buckthorn. Landowner wants to burn the brush so he hauled it into the field. I asked him in case we don't burn it before turkey season it would make a good turkey blind.

This gobbler seems to think so.

Attachment:
Brush Pile Gobbler 03-31-18 web.jpg
Brush Pile Gobbler 03-31-18 web.jpg [ 137.04 KiB | Viewed 1794 times ]

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Well, I'm just excited to get in the woods! No turkeys to hunt in Alaska! Sure, we have mtn goats, elk, blacktail deer, ducks, ptarmigan and snowshoe hares on Kodiak- BUT NO GOBBLERS!

My dad is 75, can't hear a lick, doesn't give a dern to learn how to check digital scout cams, so I have zero intel for if the birds are gobbling or any clue.
I'm super pumped to get back though! Just to get out and make a turkey sound will be fun! 2 years absent and i'm just excited to wear camo for eastern hardwoods again! :D

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:33 pm
King of Spring

Glad you will get a run at the birds this year. There are still a few around. Just don't hunt anywhere GN and Freddy go.
Vic

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am