View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

First Trip to SC 
Longbeard

Post First Trip to SC
Well im headed to South Carolina Thursday for my first ever spring gobbler trip to that state. License and tags arrived yesterday. Looks like the weather will be decent. Hope everyone is doing well, I will hopefully have some pics and stories to tell when I return home Sunday. I have been out listening several mornings around home (Campbell County) and the birds seem to be breaking up some. Several mornings I have heard a decent amount of gobbling. Hearing and seeing the activity here has really got me pumped for this SC trip.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:35 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: First Trip to SC
Best of luck in S C. Its always fun to get a head start on your home season to see some different states to the south and maybe to get on some birds.

I cant help myself about offering advice, even to those who do not need any: one thing about really early season birds in the "deeper"south, they often will gobble like crazy on the roost but go absolutely silent with hens for a lot of the morning after they hit the ground. I think trying to get as close as feasible to the roost gobbling gives you a far better chance to get one early, as opposed to hanging back and hoping he will come to a set up at distance. I mean if you can get under 75 yards using the cover, I try to get that close if l can. The hens typically are prime breeding that early in the season and they will literally go to the gobbling tree right off the roost. When he flys down he often is looking right at hens right under, or near his tree. If you dont get him interested off the limb you may spend the rest of the morning in the rear guard chasing hens who have the LB in tow. You probably already know all this , but it is a bit of different game in those mid march openings in Fl, SC, Ga, AL. I say all this and I usually dont follow my advice the first morning down there....but i sure follow it the second day. post some pictures....

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Last edited by Gobblenow on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 am
King of Spring

Good luck Bro..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 am
King of Spring

Tut and I used to go to S.C. almost every year. It's a great place to get a jump start on your season.
As usual, GN'S advice is spot on. Good luck and be safe.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 am
Longbeard

thanks for the advice GN. I am sure it will be a challenge. On a good note this farm is a family friend and hasn't been turkey hunted and they have been sending me pics of the flocks. Appears to be 11 LB's in one gang with about 11,000 hens lol. I appreciate the advice and will hopefully have some pics and stories for yall. Thanks Randy and vagrousehunter ill see how this ol VA boy can do with them swamp gobblers.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 am
King of Spring

Vagrouse hunter and I went there more then a few years ago and the birds were rather amazing. First place I've hunted where one could hunt swamps and play with gators. Got your attention when you went into a swamp pre-dawn and heard one slipping into the swamp. :shock:

Also a place loaded with wild pigs (at least where we hunted). Also, something special about eating at a buffet that served pig brains on the menu.

PS. I never scored there, but Vagrousehunter sure did. :)

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:09 pm
King of Spring

good luck and hope to see some pics!

Doug

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:21 am
King of Spring

They die just the same as ours if you can find a stupid one. :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 am
King of Spring

tut wrote:
Vagrouse hunter and I went there more then a few years ago and the birds were rather amazing. First place I've hunted where one could hunt swamps and play with gators. Got your attention when you went into a swamp pre-dawn and heard one slipping into the swamp. :shock:

Also a place loaded with wild pigs (at least where we hunted). Also, something special about eating at a buffet that served pig brains on the menu.

PS. I never scored there, but Vagrousehunter sure did. :)

I really miss going down there. I loved hunting those swamp birds.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:58 am
King of Spring

I plowed snow this morning, anyplace south sounds great! good luck. Talked to a buddy in the upstate today, pretty slow start so far, chilly and windy. It will get better.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:39 pm