View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 am

Need a recommendation on a Locator Call 
Jake

Post Re: Need a recommendation on a Locator Call
playin' hookey wrote:
You are going about it the right way. Besides adding to the enjoyment, scouting is key because it is much easier to call a turkey to a location where he is already inclined to go.

Thx for the encouragement and I agree. We scouted Saturday morning. We had success locating Gobblers with the H&N Owl Call. Later in the morning, we could get return calls from crows, but did not get any shock gobbles with the crow call. There are many crows out where we hunt. Not sure if that contributes to it, or if the gobblers are just tight lipped.

In any case, we located several gangs this past Saturday morning. We saw several gobblers in 1/2 and full strut. My son learned the importance of keeping still and staying quite, behind cover and not silhouetting himself. He had a "standoff", or should I say "stare-off" with 2 hens, as a watched all 3 of them with humor from cover. They heard him first, then saw him. Now he knows. We picked a couple of places to start next weekend, on youth day.

Good Luck and Everyone and thanks again.

SwampFox

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Need a recommendation on a Locator Call
I'm a much better woodsman then turkey caller. Knowing the woods and having a pretty good idea where the birds are roosting and where they are headed post fly down has killed me a fair number of birds over the years. Regarding locator calls, I use a custom crow call a good bit. Was never good at a owl call and I've certainly tried over the years. I have one particular cover that I've hunted now for about 12 years and know it pretty well. Makes a huge difference knowing the terrain IMO.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:41 pm