View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

Happening Now At A Place Near You 
King of Spring

Post Re: Happening Now At A Place Near You
And here I am w my Nephew 20 years later under the same Cedar tree w his first bird that I called in for him.
Subordinate bird that came in after dominant bird went off w hens after flydown.
After my nephew shot he looked at me and said “That was EASY! Why did it take you so long to get your first bird?”
I just looked at him, shook my head and laughed. Told him to talk to me in 20 years.

Attachment:
12BD7663-373F-4F48-AECF-E41AC1B5B0FE.jpeg
12BD7663-373F-4F48-AECF-E41AC1B5B0FE.jpeg [ 199.87 KiB | Viewed 1552 times ]

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 pm
Jake

Nice and thank you for sharing.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 pm
King of Spring

Thats great. Very funny nephew you got there.

Seeing Jakes all over the place, walked up on 11 of them yesterday with some other birds that looked like hens. That makes a total of 34 Jakes I have seen the last 2 weeks. Not complaining but looking good to resupplying our breeding stock on base. Not seeing many long beards though.

Earl

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 am
King of Spring

Yep, easy. Congrats on the bird.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:58 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

seeing some smaller groups with strutting birds in last two days (good), and also some 30-40 groups of hens with maybe one strutting bird (not good).

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:30 pm
King of Spring

Last few days started seeing a few more longbeards, one or 2 and 3 together. Today sat and watched 3 displaying LB put on a show for 6 hens in a field for 1/2 hour.

Earl

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:34 pm
Longbeard

Birds were fired up this morning!!!! Lots of gobbling in the tree and some on the ground

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:20 pm
King of Spring

Got out yesterday morning at sunrise & I was not disappointed. Over 20 birds roosted in one patch of woods. Lots of tree yelping and had three gobblers sound off to the owl call

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:50 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Got a few places where I can watch birds at several hundred yards with binoculars. In my territories I am generally seeing large groups of hen s with very few gobblers close by. Today watched a group of 41 hens and two LB strutters and some non strutting jakes in the mix ; hundred yards off next to a fence were three young LB by themselves. another group was 27 hens and no gobblers anywhere in a very open cow pasture; watched them 20 minutes and never saw a gobbler or heard a gobble. Another group of 30+ hens had two strutters near them but I think both were super jakes by the tail fans. This is pretty typical mid march sightings in the cow pastures where gobblers get whacked year round due to their visibility from roads , poaching etc. Lots and Lots of hens, and looks like not enough gobbler power to get them serviced .

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:47 am
King of Spring

Well last 2 days gobblers are sounding off a lot more in the roost. A couple gobbling on the ground.Last 2 days watched 3 strutters with 6 hens and today 2 strutters with 5 hens and 5 jakes. That makes my jake sighting since 25 Feb up to 42 jakes. Not double sighting, seen them in different TA's through out the base. Only seen 14 LB since same date and 53 hens/jennies since the 25th. I have heard 21 but sure a few could have been jakes.

So will give it a break till next Sunday as heading to SC in the morning for a few days. From the weather report, packing my rain gear and long handles.

Vaturkeuhntr, keep them fired up on the Q. We will be starting the offical gobbler survey 26th-6th of April. Hopefully will be able to get all routes done twice.

Earl

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Longbeard

I’ll be back out there Saturday morning. This weather coming in might slow it down a little. Need it to start getting right so that youth weekend will be right.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:42 pm