View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am

Moomaw/Douthat state park 
Poult

Post Moomaw/Douthat state park
Im planning a camping trip in march with my daughter and wanted to scout for possible turkey hunting in spring. I have not been able to locate much information regarding national forest hunting and was hopeful someone was willing to share some insight. Im not looking for a map to the honey hole, just some information regarding previous experiences and access. I am more than willing to put in the leg work and in fact am looking forward to it. Any insight or tips would be greatly appreciated. NOVA hunting is driving me nuts. Ive hunted western Loudoun for 30 years with awesome private access but have slowly lost most due to development. I really want to stretch my legs in some big woods. Thanks in advance. I live in waterford/lovettsville, if any one is local and I know a few are. Thanks Alex

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:42 pm
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Moomaw/Douthat state park
I’ve never hunted that area. Lots of real estate to stretch your legs.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I don't know about the state park.. but Warm Springs Mountain has plenty of birds on it in National Forest.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 am
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
I don't know about the state park.. but Warm Springs Mountain has plenty of birds on it in National Forest.

Concur with WVBOY on that. Back in the days when I was younger and better shape hunted a lot in Bath county and on Warm Springs mountain. Was great turkey hunting back then. Today I and not sure but worth a couple days scouting trip.

Earl

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:15 pm
Poult

Thanks for the responses, I've read most of the threads from that past on the forum and have spoken with a few rangers about access points. Hoping with some exploring I can get on some birds. Looking forward to a few days in the mountains.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:54 am
King of Spring

I have fond memories of trout fishing and camping at Douthat and listening to gobblers on the ridge.
It was many moons ago. Lack of brood habitat has hurt the NF in most of Va though.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 am