View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

Gobblers hitting it pretty hard the other morning.... 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Gobblers hitting it pretty hard the other morning....
Standing between some ridges near a cattle country pond on Saturday morning at daylight and there were gobblers ripping it in two directions. Made me feel good. Too bad I can't hunt them there.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Last edited by Gobblenow on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:25 am
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Gobblers hitting it pretty hard the other morning....
I heard on the first week on January, got my blood going :mrgreen:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

This past Saturday was the last day of the VA Jan season 13-27. Driving out to the hunting area about 0815 we seen a longbeard strutting and gobbling all by himself. Since we had Patch and checked out to another area I knew a friend that was going out in about an hour. I called him and to check and see if that area was open, it was. I told him about the bird and where it was and said for him to park his truck at a certain place and go up through this one bottom and around the backside of the bird. He then texted me a picture of the bird about 1130. He used only a trumpet and only did gobbler clucks.

19.5 lbs., 10.25 in. beard, 1 1/8 in. spurs

But that makes the 3rd bird in the last 2 weeks I have seen strutting. Only that one was gobbling. They must not get daily weather reports because the temps were in the teens and low 20's then. But must feel like spring to them.

Earl

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:40 am
King of Spring

not seeing many birds at all in my area! Hope they just hiding and will start coming out soon

Doug

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 am
King of Spring

Drove past a members farm the other day and seen a few birds with one strutter.

Earl

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:52 pm
Longbeard

Checked a farm in Prince William midday today in the rain and saw 2 groups of longbeards in separate fields.......tick tock tick tock.......

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm
King of Spring

Vaturkeyhntr wrote:
Checked a farm in Prince William midday today in the rain and saw 2 groups of longbeards in separate fields.......tick tock tick tock.......

You better watch out I have been driving around and hanging out in 2 cigar stores lately there in PW, Manassas ( Sailors and Virginia Tobacco) so I got my eye on a couple places there also in PW. :mrgreen: Driving back and forth is where I am seeing turkeys in PW county. Yesterday seen a group of about 15 on the 12th or 13th fair way on Bristow Manor golf course. Got a lead at the cigar store who owns the land behind there.

I have been calling Steve Mercer to do lunch but he never got back with me. So lets get together and have a smoke do lunch and talk turkey. Oh I have got a couple turkey leads from the cigar stores. I guess I am not the only cigar smoking turkey hunter out there. :lol:

Earl

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

[quote="Greyghost"
. I guess I am not the only cigar smoking turkey hunter out there. :lol:

Earl[/quote]

id have to say i dont know any others... :roll: :D

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 am
King of Spring

"Bristow Golf Course"
That is close to where I used to hunt in PW .. closer to Broad Run Course actually.. but not far.. :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 pm
Longbeard

Greyghost wrote:
Vaturkeyhntr wrote:

You better watch out I have been driving around and hanging out in 2 cigar stores lately there in PW, Manassas ( Sailors and Virginia Tobacco) so I got my eye on a couple places there also in PW. :mrgreen: Driving back and forth is where I am seeing turkeys in PW county. Yesterday seen a group of about 15 on the 12th or 13th fair way on Bristow Manor golf course. Got a lead at the cigar store who owns the land behind there.

I have been calling Steve Mercer to do lunch but he never got back with me. So lets get together and have a smoke do lunch and talk turkey. Oh I have got a couple turkey leads from the cigar stores. I guess I am not the only cigar smoking turkey hunter out there. :lol:

Earl

Haha, I’m always down to talk turkey!!!! I’ll have to pass on the cigars though. And if you wanna drive around and check some places for turkeys I’m good with that too

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm