View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:20 pm

In Spirit 
King of Spring

Post In Spirit
I miss not sharing the spring woods with our son. He is my best hunting bud. But I understand taking care of our grandson Noah with Christine takes priority over turkey hunting.

So Shawn O'Hearn this turkey is for you.

You are always with me in spirit. I long for the day Noah can join us.

Attachment:
best web.jpg
best web.jpg [ 251.94 KiB | Viewed 2393 times ]

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Sun May 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: In Spirit
Beautiful.

Earl

Sun May 12, 2019 5:14 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Nicely done ...nothing like hunting with family and close friends, and I always miss them when I hunt by myself.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon May 13, 2019 6:28 am
King of Spring

Congrats again.. Nice Bird.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 am
King of Spring

Took my son to WV hunting. He is 15 now and I know he will soon be out the door doing other things. So I relish the time I have with him now.

Congrats on the bird. Understand the sentiment.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am
King of Spring

Heard roost gobbling Saturday and that was it. The wind came up and the birds shut down.

Back at it at 0500 yesterday. I heard five on the roost. Two on the other side of the river. Had a good conversation with one after flying down but he would not leave the sanctuary.

Sat in the blind for a couple hours until the Downeaster came speeding by. I knew I would have about an hour and a half to explore before the next train. Went down to the river but finding a location to call from didn’t happen. Too thick so I went back to where I started the day talking to the Sanctuary Gobbler. I heard a loon fly by. Not an everyday occurrence where I live. I am a little disappointed, no whippoorwills. I heard a woodcock buzz.

Like last week, yelps were answered with silence. So, I got out the sassy talking slate call and poured my heart out. It took about twenty minutes but way off I heard a gobble. The next gobble was closer, so I shut up.

The next thing here comes Yappy. She is yelping and cutting. She comes to the fence separating the property and starts scolding my decoy. I can see a red head behind here. He steps into the opening and I can see it is a jake. And instantly he makes me, starts putting and heads back to the sanctuary where I know I just heard two gobblers. SUCK!

I stay quiet and Yappy just can’t let go of the decoy and comes back and starts scolding her again. And again, I see a red head behind her. He steps into the opening and I can see a long beard. But he was not on my side of the fence and out of respect and it was a little longer shot than I feel comfortable with I held off. He spots the decoy, ducks under the fence on to my side in wide open woods, displays to the decoy and turns around and walks out into the field where my blind is. Ugggg! He snubbed me. He was just a little too far for comfort to shoot.
He never gobbled and didn’t come to the decoy, so I knew this wasn’t the dominant bird. To add insult Yappy ducks under the fence and follows him out into the field. And guess who makes another appearance? The putting jake.

The jake went back where he came from and I let things calm down. I reposition myself and the decoy and got back into the sexy slate call. The Sanctuary Boss never gobbles but the one in the field does. Step by step I can see him coming to the edge. He is just about to step into the woods and turns to go back out into the field. What!!? But curiosity killed the cat. He turns displays to the decoy and takes those last few fatal steps.

At 10:20 he was on the ground. 21.5 lbs. 9” beard and ¾ spurs. A very exciting morning in the turkey woods.

Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Congratulations on another REAL turkey hunt.....

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 am
King of Spring

The game is working for you, Congrats.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 13, 2019 2:06 pm
King of Spring

congrats!!! You are having a great season

Doug

Mon May 27, 2019 4:16 pm
Longbeard

Cherish those days !!!!!!!!!! My father was my best friend, Hunting and Fishing Partner for as many years he was here. Those years with my father were the best not only in the outdoors but in life and I know he felt the same about me and truly miss him. Do all you can together

Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm
King of Spring

05-25-19
Shawn and I had a great day Saturday. First turkey hunt we shared this spring. In the woods 0430. First gobble at 0438. Heard four on the roost. Two after fly down. Worked one until Shawn saw him peek his head up the rise, saw no hen and never said a peep again.

Spot #2 was quiet until the slate call started broadcasting nasty thoughts up and down the river. Heard three respond. As I told them what I was going to do with them when they got here only one continued to gobble. Then his girlfriend got protective. She shouted for me to leave him alone. From his position with her he wouldn't budge. I hate bird feeders birds.

On to the Farm to see if we could hook up with Hook's. It took a little while of seductive talk before he gave up his location. He was on the Sanctuary. As he started responding and moving in our direction the neighbor decided to mow his lawn. A while later as the mower drifted away he gobbled. Right on the edge of our field. And who does he walk out with? Yappie!

Shawn was set up on the tree where I got the gobbler in this post. Hooks could see the decoy in the woods and stood until quitting time just displaying. No talk.

This was our last hunt at the farm so we walked out into the field. Yappie was dusting at the food plot right in front of the blind. Hooks was not to far away.

I felt bad for Shawn since we had been into turkey since daybreak. He told me, "Dad it is OK. That was a great hunt today."

Teach them young, they will remember. 

Thu May 30, 2019 8:47 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

You cant ask for more than to be on turkeys all morning. Great hunt indeed!

Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am
King of Spring

Great hunts. Those are turkey hunts. Those are the ones that happen more then not. Those are the ones that are cherished. Thanks for sharing those special days.

Earl

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:21 am