View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am

Why The Increase 
King of Spring

Post Why The Increase
In relation to GN's thread on decrease and if he will indulge me on this one, if someone can explain the following.

On Quantico using stats from 1981 the following is submitted.

From 1981 to 2001 the average harvest in the spring was 52.2.
From 2002 to 2014 the average harvest was 47.5.
From 2015 to 2019 the average harvest was 77.7.

Poor hatches and survival (hen to poult ratio) over the last 3 years.

The habitat has gotten worse. Coyotes along with hawks and other predators has increased.

Over the last 3 years better forestry management has been taking place.

I am going to have to chew on this one for awhile. :smt017

Earl

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Why The Increase
:D Have hunters on Quantico just started using decoys in recent years? :D

SERIOUSLY-- CONGRATULATIONS TO the Q management and volunteers for making it a better place for birds.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:49 pm
King of Spring

Though I think GN is kind of kidding about decoys, I do believe decoys, especially those new really authentic looking ones have made an impact on turkey hunter effectiveness. I watch some of the hunting videos and listen to some of these guys getting turkeys. Many of these guys can barely call whatsoever. However, if they can get a turkey close enough to see the decoy there is a higher probability that they will succeed. I use decoys and it does help most times.

I wonder how sustainable that high number, 77, is? Here at APG we usually get around 55, if memory serves. I think even though numbers are down with total population hunter effectiveness is up or at least holding steady. I guess time will tell. I hope we go back to the days when they set a number and when attained, shut down hunting. That's how they use to do it on post and I think it made sense.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 am
Longbeard

Earl, what’s the number of hunters now compared to then on the Q? Any idea?

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:05 pm
King of Spring

Thanks GN, I believe that newer and younger managers with new thoughts, ideas and implementing new ideas along with the volunteers that it is making for some better hunting of all game on base.

Vic, I am sure decoys do have a better percentage of success. But from what I am seeing and hearing from a lot of decoy users that turkeys are becoming more suspicious of them as folks are saying that they are seeing turkeys shying away do to lack of movement of the decoys. The survey we use on base is showing a slight decrease in in kills using decoys and use of decoys in general. But I believe that is do to more big woods hunting found on the Q then fields.

Roy, great question. Based on license sales in the 80’s was around 3,000 yearly. Now it is around 2,000. Just a steady decline as seen elsewhere.
Now so far as spring hunters I would say between 500-600 different hunters.
This spring is the lowest I can remember, well under 600 different hunters. But again that is based on open areas and training. Since the pull out of troops overseas there is more training causing a lot less areas open for hunting. Discouraging folks from hunting.
Which brings up a point I have thought about. With a lot of areas only open a few times a year and a couple maybe never in a given year, causing less hunting pressure during breeding nesting an less kills in a given area. Then the following year those areas closed before the kills increase. When I go back to the check station I will do a spread sheet on number of days and area is open per year and kills in the given areas.

Earl

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:56 pm