View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 scouting??? 
Longbeard

Post Re: scouting???
Heard one answer a hen just after dawn, and about an hour later two separate gobblers on the ground, one in response to crows. Sure was nice to get out there.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:28 am
King of Spring

I have noticed that the hens have been coming to the woods directly behind my house about 50 yards away (I live in the woods), and this am. Around 9 30 ish, I saw the from my sunroom scratchin through the leaves when I noticed the unmistakeable white blob behind them! Sure enough it was a huge strutting gobbler back about 10 yards further just showin off!! I have it on video camera! I'm officially done.. there will be no more focus on anything till the 14th!! Lol

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:32 am
King of Spring

Heard 2.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:00 pm
King of Spring

Seen 4 huge flocks. No gobbles but a lot of hen talk and gobblers strutting. They should start breaking up any day now.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:30 pm
Boss Gobbler

I heard a couple this morning... One flock on a farm has already started breaking up.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Freddy wrote:
I heard a couple this morning... One flock on a farm has already started breaking up.

Yelp, things starting to spread out up here.

Earl

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:10 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Seeing smaller groups. Watched fifty fly down in a large field of maybe twenty five open acres. Within thirtyinutes they had finished the morning fight and seperated in to several smaller groups which had a lb or two and a few hens each. The jakes even split onto twos and threes but never left the field.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:44 am
King of Spring

Overcast and foggy. But the crows got 2 going.

Earl

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 am
King of Spring

Was at spot were this tree farm owns the road a joining two property's, they give us the right away to the place we can hunt well one side of the road has a big cut corn field and a smaller wheat field divided by about 15 acres of woods heard 3 in that little patch with maybe a dozen hens or so going off cackling cuttin yelping, it was some pretty sounds.. Well two gobblers flew down to the cornfield and the others went to wheat field. Well i sat there till 7:30ish an easied back out to my truck.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:46 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

A lot less gobbling this morning than yesterday. Heard a couple, but only roost gobbling and nothing on the ground. A lot less hen talk today also.

Checked another farm and found some decent sign... will listen there this week.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Well today started the offical sleep depredation till the end of May for me. Got off my 12 hour night shift and went out to listen (for a short time). It was worth it as I heard 4 in an old honey hole spot that went cold for the last 3/4 years.

Only lost 2 hours of sleep but if it were hunting season I would lose about 5 hours. Now back to get a couple hours and back to the 5 to 5 nights and back out again in the morning.

Gosh I love this season. But it seems fall season one does not lose all that sleep as in the spring. Dogs are a mans best friend.

Earl

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:36 pm
King of Spring

They are starting to break up. Five Gobbler pack are now two gobblers. Looks like they are starting to sort things out. Guessing the bird on the right is dominant, but who knows. PS. My cousin down in Lunenburg County says they are gobbling their heads off down there. Something to wet ones whistle.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:55 pm
Boss Gobbler

All quiet at one of my spots in Bedford Co this morning... :-(

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Heard two Roost gobbling yesterday morning .. stayed till 8:00 AM and they were still on the roost ... could hear the hens yelping .. finally heard a couple fly down .. waited another 10 mintues and still heard more hens and jakes still roosted .. finally left .. was hoping to see some strutters hit the field but they stayed up.. I saw a coyote about 300 yds out in the field catching field mice or something.. I am guessing they saw him too ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 pm
King of Spring

Freddy its the same way here. I know they are there they just arent talking. Went yesterday morning and evening and nada even though I seen them. One thing is for sure, the woods are greening up way earlier than normal but it doesnt seem to be effecting the turkeys at all. Heres another thing to ponder. This past hatch is probably the best I can recall which means theres also a lot of hens. It might be a little later than usual than earlier with all the ladies.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next