View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:59 am

Best Money you've spent on Turkey Hunting 
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Best Money you've spent on Turkey Hunting

I really enjoyed carrying my new T/C Encore 12 gauge last year. Having no long action really shortened the overall length and weight. Plus it smacked two gobblers in a week on national forest :smt003

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

$3 spent on a National Forest stamp. Millions of acres of turkey hunting land and no permission to ask!

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:27 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Thermacell is probably the last thing I would give up.
Also, I got my money's worth from a Patternmaster medium-range choke. With #6 Winchester hi-density shot, it is good to 40 yds and has stopped a disheartening string of misses I had going trying for extra range with one of the tighter chokes. None of those misses was at more than 40 yds.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:37 pm
King of Spring

I keep seeing thermacell, these are the things that keep bugs off right? I have never even seen one, probaly have at the store but didn't know what I was looking at. Do they keep gnats off too, for some reason mosquitoes don't bother me much but the gnats in the pines always find the corner of my eye or my mouth?

I've lived in several se states and always picked up a lifetime license while i was there, in sc now and plan on picking up a sc lifetime and I will be able to hunt from south Georgia to DC without having to pay crazy out of state fees each year.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:26 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Thermacell keeps away about everything with inSect wings. Imo

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Jake

The cost of buying 5's and 6's from most every manufacturer out there, to test their pattern in my gun. The time and money are worth it as there really are radical differences in the pattern densities.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:57 pm