View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:02 pm

Sunday hunting push hits dead end in House subcommittee 
Longbeard

Post Re: Sunday hunting push hits dead end in House subcommittee
Freddy, no problems.

I will hunt VA till i cannot hunt anymore.

I believe it will come one day. The "pro" sunday groups need to be mor organized.
Heck, it got farther than it ever did.

I will continue to use Sunday as a travel/scouting/work day.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:37 am
Longbeard

since it will be a cold day in january before it passes in eastern va. why not a push for it to be in western part of va only. lol my cuz suggestion not mine. but the doggers may let it slide. i hope they don't read this forum. hahaha.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

“Obnoxious method”. Playing Hookey, I was wondering could explain what you mean by this statement. The only thing obnoxious is your poor judgment of other hunters. I personally don’t want to see Sunday hunting, but it has nothing to do if me hunting with dogs. I bow, still, tree stand and run dogs. I love them all the same. For me, it’s simple. I hate changing things because no matter what it is someone is going to screw it up. Obnoxious, unbelievable.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:11 am
King of Spring

I'd like to know why Sunday hunting would have to include deer hunting at all? I think if deer hunting is ever allowed on Sunday it will be a mistake. The only senario I could be for would be small game and afternoon (1:00). This would allow for some hunting on Sunday, help get youth in the field, put some focus on small game habitat that is sorely needed and still respect the nonhunting public as concerns safety, Church, and time alone.
I didn't respond to Striker's poll because it was deer hunt or not at all.

I haven't polled my landowners but the ones whose opinions I know are against it and their reasons are deer hunting related.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:02 am
Longbeard

I think turkey hunting on sunday would be fine. how bout a push for that. yeah I feel that is safe one too. Man, God said to keep the sabbath day holy and to follow his commadments. for me this is a no no but others it may be good. and God doesn't see no seperation of church from state. God is everywhere in everything.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:53 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Freddy wrote:
..."I'm gracious enough to let a few people hunt my land and I enjoy using the land on Sunday with my family. Yes, I could "request" people not hunt on Sunday, but we both know how that would work."

This debate has been here in NC also. I've been at a hearing where folks like horse riders, bikers, hikers, etc have argued that they want to use the land too, and it's nice knowing no one's out there in the woods with guns one day a week.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:49 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

BIRD DOG

my poll had hunt " any game " on sunday it was not just for deer hunting only and alot of guys i know wants to hunt or take their kids hunting and sat and sunday is the only day the working man has to do this and over 80% on here voted for some kind of hunting on sunday.

The vaturkey poll was only 14% is for no sunday hunting and 86% are looking for some kind of hunting on sunday.

maybe next time it will pass :smt006

brian

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:00 pm
King of Spring

Gotcha Brian, I meant all options to hunt included deer.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:11 pm
King of Spring

I was in Walmart the other night and while I was standing in line waiting to check out. Their was this lady and her 7 year son in front of me. The kids had 6 toys in the basket, but he saw one more at the checkout counter. The kid ask's his mom could he get one more and she say no, you already have 6 in the basket and that is good enough.The boy started whinning and crying because he can't have one more toy. But all of a sudden he stopped and said mom, you are right thank you for the 6 toys I already have, I guess you can say I was being greedy instead of being greatful.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:36 pm
Longbeard

Post obnoxious method
Ok, vabirdhunter, here is why deer dogging is obnoxious. First, it is necessary to allow hunters to go onto land without permission for retrieval of their dogs. Second, it is the one method of hunting which is frequently done from state-maintained roads, or close to them, as many deer doggers like to use a vehicle to head off the deer being run by their dogs. Little imagination is required to see why deer dogging is obnoxious to many nonhunters, and to quite a few hunters as well.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:37 pm
Longbeard

Unless something has changed, the right to hunt is in the Virginia Constitution and I don't see any other right that applies only 6 days a week. This should not be an issue. You can fish on Sunday, buy beer on Sunday,and shop on Sunday. As far as giving game a day to rest, unless the animal in question is at the top of the food chain, there is never a day of rest when the animal is on the top spot holder's menu. :o

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:36 pm
King of Spring

For you to make such a comment is asinine, To put a label on all dog hunters as one because others are doing something you may call questionable shows a lack of intelligent, Don’t label me if you know me. Sure, I have seen a lot of questionable method use by a lot of different hunter, not just dog hunters. You better believe if I feel what someone is doing is wrong, I gone, because I believe in doing things right, I teach my son and many other young hunters right from wrong. I don’t tolerate stupidity. I don’t chase deer in a truck, I don’t access anyone property without first having approved permission, I RESPECT others.
I am curious to what type hunting you do approve of. Do you Bow hunt and if so I take it you only use a primitive weapon? Because some people may think using a compound bow is just obnoxious because it is not fare to use a weapon such as that because to is a disadvantage to the deer.
Do you muzzleloader and if so, well I hope it a flintlock, because it won’t be fair to hunt a deer with an inline rifle that would be obnoxious method of hunting.
I take it you don’t use a rifle either, because it takes little imagination to sit in a stand and hunt over a food plot or feeder. I know you don’t use a scope on any of your weapons, because how obnoxious is that, to set and be able to look at an animal at 300 yrd through at scope and not use the naked eye.
What I am saying to you is there are many things we do as hunters that can be question by others.
I love this sport, hobby, and way of life, what ever you want to call it.
I’m not going to make judgmental comments or derogatory remarks about anyone; unless I feel I’m being attacked first. I hope you understand we as hunter better come together and except each others method of hunting as long as they are legal or the hunter haters out there will be the winners not us. I hope you have a great spring season and wish you only the best.
By the way, I have an inline, I shoot a Matthew Bow; I shot my dad’s old Remington wing master with a scope because I’m damned near blind, I hunt over food plots and really enjoy life while doing it.
Have a good day my friend I apoligize the earlier comments, they were not nessisary.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 pm
King of Spring

jaybird wrote:
Unless something has changed, the right to hunt is in the Virginia Constitution and I don't see any other right that applies only 6 days a week. This should not be an issue. You can fish on Sunday, buy beer on Sunday,and shop on Sunday. As far as giving game a day to rest, unless the animal in question is at the top of the food chain, there is never a day of rest when the animal is on the top spot holder's menu. :o

It seems to me that one would have to ignore the second part of the amendment in order to come to this conclusion.

"The people have a right to hunt, fish, and harvest game, subject to such regulations and restrictions as the General Assembly may prescribe by general law."

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

hawglips wrote:
jaybird wrote:

It seems to me that one would have to ignore the second part of the amendment in order to come to this conclusion.

"The people have a right to hunt, fish, and harvest game, subject to such regulations and restrictions as the General Assembly may prescribe by general law."

I wasn't ignoring the second part about regulation, but I would hope they were writing about regulations and restrictions if hunting were to make a negitve impact on the game population not what days you may exercise your right to hunt. I own the property that I do most of my hunting and if I wish to hunt on Sunday, I feel I should be able to do so. This whole subject is very similar to the rifle hunters not wanting the muzzelloading seasons or the bowhunters not wanting crossbows. If you do not want people to hunt on your land on Sunday that is your right as the landowner, but if you lease your hunting rights, you may find hunters looking for other options and not enjoy the revenue generated. If you are being generous and are just granting permission; I have no problem abiding by the landowner's wishes.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:42 pm
King of Spring

jaybird wrote:
...I would hope they were writing about regulations and restrictions if hunting were to make a negitve impact on the game population not what days you may exercise your right to hunt. I own the property that I do most of my hunting and if I wish to hunt on Sunday, I feel I should be able to do so. This whole subject is very similar to the rifle hunters not wanting the muzzelloading seasons or the bowhunters not wanting crossbows. If you do not want people to hunt on your land on Sunday that is your right as the landowner, but if you lease your hunting rights, you may find hunters looking for other options and not enjoy the revenue generated. If you are being generous and are just granting permission; I have no problem abiding by the landowner's wishes.

Should you be able to hunt turkeys on your land in the afternoons if you wish to? Is there more negative impact by hunting in the afternoon than by hunting on Sunday? What about hunting on the Friday before the 2nd Saturday of April?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm
Profile WWW