View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:43 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2005 Turkey Tips Contest w/ Prize - WINNER ANNOUNCED! 
Longbeard

Two years ago, I called from the ridge I was set up on, a gobbler answered above me on the ridge across from me . I would call he would answer coming down the opposite ridge,he continued on down his ridge. Once he was well below me going away gobbling the whole time, I gathered up my gear scrambled (HA-HA) across the hollow on to the ridge he came down. I set up, got my breath :lol: switched to a different sounding call, he came back up the ridge. I took him about fourty min. later at twenty seven paces.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:03 pm
King of Spring

When you go to the woods and only hear one gobbler and then kill it. Don't chaulk that place up as having no more gobblers there. Wait a couple of days and go back. Usally there is one there to take its place. Even in small wood lots. 8)

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:51 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Rules Committee said to remind you fellas that three sentences is not merely a goal.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:35 am
Longbeard

When using a Decoy on a windy day.....cut 2 small limbs and put them on both sides of your decoy.....prevents the decoy from spinning.....allows small amount of movement also...

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:45 am
Longbeard

Let me say real quick....if this was posted last year im very sorry....i looked but didnt see it......Crows and Turkeys have a love hate relationship......After fly down time if you hear a group of crows raising cane near a field chances are that there are turkeys in the field and the crows are harrassing them....you can take advantage of this and use them as a locater...

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:57 am
King of Spring

situation: gobbler sneaks in quiet on you - well within shotgun range & you/your shotgun are out of position to kill him

tip 1 - swing quick on the gobbler and take him as he leaves...swinging slow on him won't work...gobbler will get a tree between you and him as he leaves

tip 2 - let him leave on his own and call him back with different calls or move a little on him and call him back with different calls

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:50 am
King of Spring

Jeff, I think most of us would baulk at the idea of letting him walk away! I guess sometimes that this is the right thing to do. Better that than taking a chance on wounding a bird and having him perhaps suffer, and or die later. That would be a waste! We also need to be careful to not shoot something we didn't intend to shoot as we try to move quickly to get a chance at a shot! Safety is always a hunters first responsibility. Not causing harm to an animal we can't cleanly take is number two. (at least in my book!) What say you Jeff?

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:39 pm
On a morning thats going to be clear and sunny, turkeys will initially travel westward after fly down keeping the sun at their backs.
GS...

Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:52 am
Longbeard

Whenever you are Hunting public land or property others may hunt...if you hear a turkey gobble and others are in there but you not sure if there working the bird...do as we say in the Firefighting community......"When in doubt get out"

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:51 pm
2 Year Old

Get familiar with your turkey vest, know where everything is and how to reach it quickly and quietly, put it on and get comfortable with it well before season......

Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:59 pm
2 Year Old

Most hunter remove the turkey's beard by cutting it out. This leaves tissue on the end of the beard that can smell or must be treated. To remove the beard cleanly, hold the breast feathers and skin down firmly around the beard with one hand. Then with the other hand grab the beard and pull it straight out of the breast firmly. The beard pulls out cleanly with absolutely no tissue attached.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:08 am
2 Year Old

To remove a gobblers beard cleanly, hold the breast feathers and skin down firmly around the beard with one hand. Then with the other hand grab the beard and pull it straight out of the breast firmly. The beard pulls out cleanly with absolutely no tissue attached.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:10 am
Boss Gobbler

When hunting public land or even a lease, leave the birds close to the road for others. Put your walking shoes on and go after the birds deep. You will have less pressure and the birds wont be quite as spooky.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:52 am
King of Spring

Watch for caterpillars. Once the nests begin to appear, note the type of tree they choose for your area and go and find concentrations of them - just make sure and tie off your pants legs or you WILL spook birds! :shock: Caterpillars are a delicacy for turkeys.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:37 am
2 Year Old

Don't just roost a bird by knowing what tree he is in. If he has flown up for the evening, work him by using soft yelps and some clucks, then shake your hat to sound like a hen has flown up. Slip on out of there like you commited a crime. He will come to you first at fly down the next morning.

This really works well!! :twisted:

Last edited by sakoluvr on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:41 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next