View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 2006 Spring Scouting Thread... 
King of Spring

Saw a flock of 22 birds feeding across a field Friday on one of the farms I hunt... only roost gobbling and no strutter's.

Saw a flock of over 50 birds Saturday that had 4 strutter's out in the warm sun on another place I hunt... these birds gobbled a little harder than the one's on Friday, but not much at all after they hit the ground.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:28 pm
King of Spring

My uncle called said they were sounding off this morning in rappahannock county wish i could of heard em.
T.W.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:09 am
King of Spring

Post 2006 spring scouting thread
Friend of mine saw 7 strutters with 4-5 hens hens last week.

barry

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:22 pm
King of Spring

Went out Sunday morning before church heard 2. No gobbling on roost but around 8:00 the hen fired up and then the gobblers answered them. Also this morning around the house one was gobbling pretty decent.

Doug

Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:32 pm
King of Spring

Saturday morning I saw a flock of around 15 birds. No strutting. I guess they're still grouped up. I'm all for it at this point. This colder weather coming in this week should help keep things throttled back.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:07 am
King of Spring

With a 1 year old in the house, the new job, and having been sick a few times the last few weeks I haven't gotten to do any early scouting. I did go out on a Sunday morning 2 weeks ago and didn't hear any gobbling but seen 1 flock of about 25 birds with 1 big strutter and 1 other longbeard. This morning as I was scraping frost from the windshield I heard a faint gobble. My first one of the year. I stood and heard him and 1 other bird gobble about 6 times while a hen was yelping away. Then, on my way to work I see a field edge that was literally black. I detoured to find 6 big strutters and about 40 hens with a few jakes mixed in. I watched them from 200 yards for just a few minutes. Seen 3-4 of the longbeards doing a little bit of the "love dance" and bumping each other around. All the while 1 of the big boys (no doubt the one with the hooks) stayed in amongst all of the hens. The other five stayed back just enough to keep from getting whipped. Beautiful sight!!! So, it's over for me. I'll be up and out early every morning now until the end of May. Oh, by the way this is all in Central WV.
Browtine

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:32 am
2 Year Old

Got a chance to do some scouting and listen for gobbling, for four days. Found a good bit of sign, however, no gobbling, here in PA...

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:43 am
King of Spring

I went out this morning and didn't hear anything until about 7:00 then I blew the owl hooter from on top of a high ridge and heard one gobble about 3/4 mile away and then I heard gobbling non-stop for about 10 minutes. I'm not sure if it was one hot bird or several of them, but I know where i'm gonna be on April 8 :D

Ryan

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:31 am
King of Spring

Post 2006 spring scouting thread
Strutters seem to be popping up everywhere lately with fields greening up.
Boys on the rail-road are seeing birds everywhere.
Friend heard six gobbling last Saturday.

barry

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:31 pm
Boss Gobbler

i have seen no less than 9 strutting longbeards in 5 different flocks just driving around today... a few of them you could see/hear gobbling from the car. Amy saw a couple more this AM and got to listen to a real show!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

i saw.. several long beards.. and scores of hens yesterday from rt 24 in stewartsville yesterday at about 4:30... i had to pull over b/c i almost wrecked watching them.. i must have driven around and did 3 u -turns just to go back and see them... when i pulled over.. you could hear the hens talkin real good...didnt hear a gobble.. but that didnt matter... the birds were allllll over the field.. long beards and hens!.. amazing!.. too bad that place is not allowed to be hunted !!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:38 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Morning report Shenandoah County
Went to a local farm where I have permission to hunt this morning. However stopped by the walmart in Winchester and got to the farm at 550 am :(

Realized I was about 20 minutes late. Anyway, tried to slip in quiet to an area where the owner said he had been seeing birds frequently. Sat down quietly and listened. At 6 am heard two fly down and not make a peep.

At 615 a gobbler sounded off about 400 yards away from the roost. He gobbled 3 times. About 5 minutes later he gobbled once more (fly down I assumed). Tried to slip over in that direction and ran into about 35 whitetails in a corn field who ran blowing and crashing thru the same patch of woods the gobbler was in. Lets just say I turned around and walked in the opposite direction.

At 6:45 another gobbler sounded off on the other side of the farm twice.

Went back to my vehicle and went to another part of the farm to pattern my 870 20 gauge. Never heard another gobble, but since I had ear muffs on it might have been difficult :D

Impression I'm getting is they really aren't fire up yet in this area in the least right now. Thats good IMO. Don't need to have them do anything for a while longer.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:30 pm
King of Spring

Post 2006 scouting thread
My brother got some video of 4 hens in the snow this morning just behind my cabin.
No gobblers but one hen had a very nice beard.

barry

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:56 pm
2 Year Old

Made my first scouting trip this morning - down in the flatlands (James City). Was a bit late arriving in the woods (5:50). Had heard only one bird by 6:15, and he was pretty far away, and kind of sounded like a jake. Went to another piece of woods about 3/4 mile away. Wandered down an old logging road a 1/2 mile, and ended up between two gobblers who were really sounding off, one on either side of the road. Both had hens answering them, which probably explains why they completely shut-off before 7:00. At least I got a bead on them for now. Believe I'll check back in on them next week!

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:20 pm
King of Spring

I have been away for a while now, hello to all and welcome to all new commers. I have been scouting a new area I plan to hunt. It is located in Franklin county. It holds a lot of good sign and I have made a few "sigtings" while out. I went out this morning dispite the cold and drizzle and heard them gobble a lot. I also watched two in a field strut. I have seen a total of 3 long beards and about 14 jakes. I saw the jakes in a group during the firs part of march. I guess they are breaking out of the winter flocks and that is why I have so much gobbling. This should be a good season dispite all the crazy weather. Hope all are having the same luck.

Jon

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next