View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:56 pm

King of Spring

Post Re: ...............
We started our gobbler survey on base this past Saturday. So far from the results I will say average season in birds taken. But we still have a little over a week to finish the survey.

From what I observed it looks like the breeding is 2 weeks behind.

COVID Massacre To funny...................... But well named.

Earl

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 am
King of Spring

tut wrote:
Really have no clue what the season will bring. The farm I've been hunting in the upper Shenandoah Valley is still on the market and hasn't sold (knock on wood) so I'll get another season out of it. It doesn't have much food IMO, but it has big open fields and about 4 places with big roost tree's that seem to always hold a gobbler and it has fantastic nesting cover. Birds always show up late. No reason to even scout until about 2 weeks before the season because they seem to move in late.

PS. The good news is last year I had quite a few Jakes around and I sure didn't shoot any so there should be some 2 year olds around.

Covid will dictate whether I go to Tenn to chase my sisters birds. The wife and I are on the list with about 40,000 other folks in the County where I live. Va has not done a good job in that area at all. Would also like a trip out to the mid-west. We shall see.

In the meantime, I bought a new Turkey choke for the 20 gauge 870 so I'll be doing a bit of patterning next month to see if the choke likes the loads and vice versa. Haven't jumped on the TSS train yet. Have a bunch of the old Federal Heavyweight in size 6 and its been really good to me in the past several years.

Double PS. Late in the season I always like to hit the public land in Va. You get into the May time frame and you have the entire National Forest to yourself. As a retired fellow, I can pick out a nice day mid-week and go into and area and just walk and hammer the box call. Seems like I always get to work a bird late, but normally that bird doesn't get a ride in the truck. Later season public land gobblers are tough suckers.

Update to this. Farm I hunt was sold two weeks ago. Closing as of now is 12 April. If I'm lucky I'll get to hunt the opener and that Sunday. Is what it is. PS. The farm is full of birds. Saw 3 strutters with hens there two days ago. Life goes on.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:53 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Tut that is some bad news about your Va access on that farm. It has been good to you I know.

I lost my best farm two years ago, and it has been a scramble to find replacements as it was by far the best access locally that I had for twenty years. Im seeing far less birds than usual on the newer places, so this may be tough year.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:07 pm
King of Spring

Yea sorry to hear about that TUT, hopefully things will work out for the better.

Earl

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:46 am
King of Spring

Tut, maybe the new owners will be amenable to letting you keep hunting. Hope so.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:29 pm
King of Spring

brwndg wrote:
Tut, maybe the new owners will be amenable to letting you keep hunting. Hope so.

Have written a letter of introduction which the old owner will provide to them at closing. I did a quick count and I believe in the last 14 years I've killed 18 gobblers on that farm. At least 4 were killed with my sxs made in 1928. I told the new owner that I'd be glad to to help on the deer stands or cut brush or even shine his shoes if he will let me hunt. I'd even give up deer hunting out there as I'd rather turkey hunt then deer hunt.

PS. I believe I've killed about 40 deer on that farm in the last 14 years as well. There will be no replacement that is nearly as good in my mind. I was the only turkey hunter allowed on that farm for 14 years. Really good memories for sure.

Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:21 am