View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:04 pm

what are the Virginia poult reports in Va thus far in 2024? 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post what are the Virginia poult reports in Va thus far in 2024?
hope you folks are seeing some poults . I have seen none in my area and I drive to fish on a lot of back country roads in prime turkey areas but have not seen the first poults so far. JULY AND AUGUST typically are the months I see poults though, so hoping for better reports later this summer.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:06 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: what are the Virginia poult reports in Va thus far in 20
I personally have seen none but my son in law reported seeing two broods early (during turkey season) on his dairy farm.

Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:27 pm
Longbeard

Finally got a picture on one of my trail cams yesterday about 50 yards from my house that shows a hen with 6 poults.

Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:59 am
Longbeard

Saw two hens with 6 poults in a grass field at the end of my driveway today after a thunderstorm. I assume it is the same bunch that I got on a game camera erlier in May that picked up another hen. Poults were about the size of a small chicken.

Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:11 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Been seeing more poults on the rural areas here than I saw earlier in summer. Not any huge groups and four in a group [] seems to be the typical number of half grown poults I’ve seen per hen in late July and August.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:12 pm
King of Spring

I have been getting favorable sightings from several areas in central Va. we have been in severe drought all summer. Got good rains from Debby should help things but crops have already suffered. Acorns? Idk. Sightings of broods have continued which looks good.

Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:39 pm