View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

Moving to 20 Gauge 
Longbeard

Post Re: Moving to 20 Gauge
I went the 20 gauge Benelli Nova shooting the heavy shot 5,6,7 blend and its awesome with an Indian Creek Choke tube. Hardly any recoil!!!!! TUT and Vagrousehunter talked me into it and I'm glad they did, out to 40 no problem.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 pm
King of Spring

I put together a little 20 GA kill compilation over the last few years.. they are deadly if setup right.. :)

https://youtu.be/3Rmzz9mj8wk

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm
King of Spring

Randy, I remember looking at the boys 20 ga. in your garage before you moved. Liked it and have been looking around some. What choke you using in it?
I was hoping to find an Ithaca Turkeyslayer in 20 ga. but they only sell them new now in black synthetic and they are almost $900!!!
And used ones are as rare as hen's teeth!

Cool video compilation!

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:10 pm
King of Spring

It is a TruLock choke. Made for the Federal Hevi Weight #7 shells with the Flight Control Wad.

If you are going to TSS though I would not shoot that choke with them I don't think. I think Trulock came out with one for TSS..

http://www.guns.com/2018/02/15/trulock-launches-new-tss-chokes-for-federal-turkey-loads/

I have two brand new boxes of the #7 hevi weights so I will continue with this setup until I run out. I heard that federal has stopped making that load now and will only make tss going forward so I will have to buy a new choke at some point I guess.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:29 pm
King of Spring

Randy, with TSS we are getting really strong patterns with more open choke constrictions... may want to try your factory full, could very well be pleasantly surprised!

I haven't shot any of the Federal TSS loads with the flight control wads yet, but have shot (and seen shot) a large pile of TSS handloads of various weights and sizes..... stuff is wicked

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I went to the Trulock site to see what they had (I still have two boxes of FHW 3" 7 shot) and don't see anything about a TSS choke.
https://trulockchokes.com/?target=choke ... 5B98%5D=98

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:36 pm
Longbeard

Was able to snag 3 boxes of Apex #9’s for the 20 guage today from Mack’s PW during the short time they had them in stock. I still have 3 boxes of Federal Heavyweight #7’s left that I plan on using up but will throw up a picture of what the TSS looks like once we get some nicer weather.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 pm
King of Spring

I found a store that has the Federal HW 7s in stock but in 2 3/4” shells.
Figure they gotta be better than throwing #6 lead.

Anybody have any experience w those? Think I might get a two boxes and see how they perform.
A lot cheaper than the TSS @ $16/box

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:51 am
King of Spring

brwndg wrote:
I went to the Trulock site to see what they had (I still have two boxes of FHW 3" 7 shot) and don't see anything about a TSS choke.
https://trulockchokes.com/?target=choke ... 5B98%5D=98

Tim,.. I don't know why it's not on their site.. but I found this.. and saw some post on Old Gobbler about a tss choke from them.. you may just want to call them and ask.
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... key-loads/

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:21 pm
King of Spring

brwndg wrote:
I found a store that has the Federal HW 7s in stock but in 2 3/4” shells.
Figure they gotta be better than throwing #6 lead.

Anybody have any experience w those? Think I might get a two boxes and see how they perform.
A lot cheaper than the TSS @ $16/box

I originally bought the 2 3/4 #7 for my boys to start with back when Luke was 9 yrs old .. it shoots OK and will kill to 25 yds or so.. but I wouldn't trust it much further than that.. when I patterned it against the 3 inch there was a noticeable difference out to 40 ..

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:23 pm
King of Spring

Earl wrote:
Randy, with TSS we are getting really strong patterns with more open choke constrictions... may want to try your factory full, could very well be pleasantly surprised!

I haven't shot any of the Federal TSS loads with the flight control wads yet, but have shot (and seen shot) a large pile of TSS handloads of various weights and sizes..... stuff is wicked

I've heard that as well.. Factory Full.. the problem is I have no idea where my original factory full is .. been years since I have seen that thing :)

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:28 pm
King of Spring

I have used Federal Heavyweight and a Sumtoy choke 20 gauge Nova for about 4 years straight. Should sell my Benelli SBE because I never carry it now. If I'm not carrying the 20 gauge I'm carrying a 100 year old side with 2 3/4" lead shells. The past 3 years I've killed about half my birds in Va with the old sxs. Pretty neat.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am
Jake

WVBOY wrote:
I put together a little 20 GA kill compilation over the last few years.. they are deadly if setup right.. :)

https://youtu.be/3Rmzz9mj8wk

WVBOY - That is a great compilation and thanks you for sharing. I also see you put a youth on a nice turkey for Youth Day. As I take my son for youth day this year, he will actually be shooting some hand loaded, 3 inch 410 shells.

We have been working up loads in 410 and 20 for over a year, for both dear and turkey. It is fun, cost effective and rewarding. Now, I just hope that all my scouting and calling skills pay off this year. It has been a long time, and I never mastered turkey hunting.

But, in any case, we will enjoy the hunt either way, but for his sake, I would like him to be able to fill a tag.

Good Luck to Everyone.

Thx, SwampFox.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:09 am
King of Spring

We have a 3 year Youth day streak going right now.. I hope we get blessed again this year :)

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:03 am
Jake

For those of you who moved to a smaller gauge, what is your favorite turkey load?

My reason for asking is that I have an older (1980's) 1100 2 3/4 12 gauge, with a new carlson turkey choke. I like the gun, have taken hundreds of quail and dove with it, but because today's Turkey loads are mostly in 3 and 3 1/2 inch load, the choices are slim.

Here is it, with a new camo wrap...

Attachment:
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 158.21 KiB | Viewed 2630 times ]

Thx,
SwampFox

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:55 am