View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

anyone interested in starting a spring turkey hunting camp? 
2 Year Old

Post anyone interested in starting a spring turkey hunting camp?
Royce's post got me to thinking about bygone days of deer hunting camp spent by many of our father's or grandfathers, of which, I always wished to be a part, but just missed by a generation. And well, I can't think of a better hunting camp to be part of than Spring Turkey Camp.

Being as all the other hunters in my circle are deer and bear hunters who don't share my interest in spring Turkey hunting, figured I'd take the plunge and just throw it out there for you guys...

Would anyone be interested in setting aside a week next season to spend with some "total strangers" (vaturkey members) who share a passion for spring Turkey hunting? Call it spring "Turkey Hunting Camp" if you will.
Seems to me we're fortunate in Virginia to have ample public land to hunt, and arranging accommodation in the form of a cabin of some sort, in a decent location, should be rather easily arranged.

What say you fella's, any interest?

P.S. This is just to gauge interest, not a commitment or anything. Next season is a ways off still.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: anyone interested in starting a spring turkey hunting ca
I could be in for a weekend! Sounds like fun. Any idea where we would hunt?

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 am
2 Year Old

brwndg wrote:
I could be in for a weekend! Sounds like fun. Any idea where we would hunt?

My thought was somewhere along Washington/Jefferson National forest. Runs South of Winchester to West of Blacksburg, pretty much along our western boundary. There's a whole Lotta acreage there to choose from.

I'm certainly open to other locations as well. Seems to me that DGIF population surveys, easy accessibility for participants, number of participants, as well as suitable accommodations should be factored into choosing a location.

What do you think?

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am
Longbeard

I'm interested, maybe for a little more than a weekend. Agree national forest is a good option. Another possibility would be one of the Virginia state parks which have cabins for rent. The one I have been to is Fairystone, but there are several others in the western part of the state. I think this state forest land is open to hunting -- I believe there is a separate permit necessary which can be purchased when buying your hunting license online.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 am
King of Spring

I would love to be in on that. Just let me know when/where and what I can do to help

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:40 pm
2 Year Old

Thanks for the replies fellas.
It's good to know there's interest.

Let's hear some ideas for locations.
1 - I'm thinking of the central portion of the State in attempt to keep folks from having to drive across the whole state.

2 - I'm thinking National Forest since spring hunting pressure would be very low there. It also appears that the Walker mountain region (GWNF, Augusta County) is involved in a habitat restoration/improvement program thanks to the NWTF.
I also looked up "cabin" rentals, and appears the deerfield area Has quite a few that will accommodate anywhere from 6-12 people for a few hundred dollars/wk. (Have to follow up that one, sounds awful cheap).

playin' hookey - Fairystone State Park looks like a super FUN place to take a family. I bet Ya'll had a blast.
It looks like Fairystone WMA is ~5000 acres and the state park portion appears to only be open for hunting on selected days in the Fall. At least that's what I'm able to gather from searching online.

Give some thoughts, comments, concerns, etc.

P.S. - another interesting place could be Mount Pleasant in Amherst. There was a forest fire there last November that burned 5000 - 7000 acres through the scenic wilderness area.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:51 pm
Longbeard

That burn on Mt Pleasant sounds interesting, might be some pretty good turkey habitat. I know the area a couple of Appalachian Trail shelters north of there pretty well too (North and South Forks of Piney River), from trout fishing and bow hunting but haven't hunted it for spring gobblers. It's been a few years since I did anything besides fish near a national forest road, so I don't know how the turkeys are doing at present.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:21 pm
2 Year Old

According to this G&F article, http://www.gameandfishmag.com/forecasts ... cast-2016/ the Southern Mountain and Tidewater regions hold the highest populations while the central Mtn and Northern Mtn regions are the lowest.

playin' hookey -
Fairystone WMA has potential. It's managed by DGIF for quality Turkey habitat, has 5000+ meandering acres, and a lots of water.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:45 pm
Longbeard

National Forests aint got no turkeys :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Royce

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:11 pm
Poult

I would be interested in a week of turkey hunting with some interesting characters!

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 pm
2 Year Old

What do Ya'll think of SW. Virginia's coal country?
Give some idea of where (central, SW, Etc.) you would be willing to travel.
I've been looking into Coal country here lately, and it looks quite promising. Especially appealing is the opportunity to tie in WV and/or Kentucky.
???

Thu May 04, 2017 9:16 pm