View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

Fall gobblers 
King of Spring

Post Fall gobblers
Was wondering who is headed out for them this fall? Like the fact that the season starts before the bow hunting starts to get good before Halloween on!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:40 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Fall gobblers
Patch and I are gearing up for it.

Earl

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Looks like a great bird - is that this years bird? Maybe from northern state?

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:48 am
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Looks like a great bird - is that this years bird? Maybe from northern state?

That was one from last fall. I was to be in WI right now but my one ankle (re-injured it) would not allow me to go. I should be ready for the opener here in VA though.

Earl

Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:40 pm
King of Spring

After the achilles injury last year took away my fall and winter hunting, I'm very anxious to get out after them this year.

If the stars align properly, I'm going to try a fall hunt out west somewhere in addition to a few days in VA.

Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

The birds were talkin their heads off yesterday morning out at the farm in Prince William County. A morning full of kee kee's, momma hens yelping, and jakes trying to push out their half gobbles

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:16 pm
King of Spring

Vaturkeyhntr wrote:
The birds were talkin their heads off yesterday morning out at the farm in Prince William County. A morning full of kee kee's, momma hens yelping, and jakes trying to push out their half gobbles

Nothing better then the sights and sounds of fall. Spring talk is dual compared to that. :wink:

Earl

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:15 pm
Longbeard

I was able to call in three hens Saturday morning in the misting rain. Around 5 on Saturday afternoon I called in a nice gobbler but I could never get a clean shot and he walked away. I called several more times with just a long series of yelps roughly every 30 minutes or so and at 6:05 I had two gobblers come in to 30 yards I shot the first one that gave me a opportunity. It was my first animal ever with my crossbow. Not a huge bird but a 7 inch beard with the crossbow was super exciting to me. I have heard more turkey calling in the first couple of days this fall then I did all last spring. Hopefully the season will continue to be noisy. Good luck to you guys.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:47 am
King of Spring

hookinembig wrote:
I was able to call in three hens Saturday morning in the misting rain. Around 5 on Saturday afternoon I called in a nice gobbler but I could never get a clean shot and he walked away. I called several more times with just a long series of yelps roughly every 30 minutes or so and at 6:05 I had two gobblers come in to 30 yards I shot the first one that gave me a opportunity. It was my first animal ever with my crossbow. Not a huge bird but a 7 inch beard with the crossbow was super exciting to me. I have heard more turkey calling in the first couple of days this fall then I did all last spring. Hopefully the season will continue to be noisy. Good luck to you guys.

Congratulations of a fine fall gobbler. Good calling on those longbeards.

Earl

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:22 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Here is an admission that will sound like blasphemy to some of you. I get after 'em pretty good in the spring but for some crazy reason i do not have much desire to hunt turkeys in the fall. I have gone a couple of times. in my life. I have called up a gobbler and killed it on one of those trips, but i don't get even slightly cranked up about it. I heard birds gobbling all morning yesterday while fishing. Its October and they are gobbling. I know where they are. I could hunt them with prior permission . But l just don't want to go after them now for some reason. I may change my mind but today I have no interest in going tomorrow when it opens here.

Go ahead and throw me off the board.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:24 am
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Here is an admission that will sound like blasphemy to some of you. I get after 'em pretty good in the spring but for some crazy reason i do not have much desire to hunt turkeys in the fall. I have gone a couple of times. in my life. I have called up a gobbler and killed it on one of those trips, but i don't get even slightly cranked up about it. I heard birds gobbling all morning yesterday while fishing. Its October and they are gobbling. I know where they are. I could hunt them with prior permission . But l just don't want to go after them now for some reason. I may change my mind but today I have no interest in going tomorrow when it opens here.

Go ahead and throw me off the board.

:D Your safe with me. So far has having called in and killed a fall gobbler, congratulations. So far as desire to fall turkey hunt is everyones own decision. Just like I have no desire to break up a fall flock and shot a hen or Jenny. But I love after a hen flock break using the different vocalizations a turkey uses in the fall and hearing that and watching them cautiously regrouping, I really enjoy that. Also trying to keep the dog still while they regroup. For me the connection is with the running of the dog and seeing her find and break up the birds. When it is a group of longbeards that is the best challenge for me so far as calling one of them back in with gobbler talk. Sometimes one gets lucky and gets one to respond but for the most part they are in no hurry to get back together for a day or two. Yes there is not that gobbling for the most part that one has in the spring but what calls I have learned from fall gobblers has made me a little more successful with them in the spring. (gobbler yelps, clucks) (pitch, tone, cadence) Just the turkey fall vocalizations get me cranked up. The interaction (vocalization) with the turkey is what I get all excited about. I guess a little like elk hunters.

I have been on fall winter hunts and have had gobblers cranked up using hen calls and had them come in gobbling and a couple times displaying. Not very often but enough too leave one :smt017 their head saying, am I missing something here, crazy birds.

Yes, I should be fly fishing right now but got the dog out training for the fall hunts. OK getting myself back in shape.

Best to you and the big browns that lurk in the streams.

Earl

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:24 pm
King of Spring

We all have our passions that conflict with our other passions. I want to go after Rock Fish up here but Deer hunting usually wins out. Might have to take a week off and get after them. We'll make an exception this one time GN.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:05 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I have been working on duck blinds for a few days and in the local woods a good bit. I found yesterday a dead turkey carcass/skeleton, with feather wings still attached , but all meat , head, legs removed by some predator, and only the wings hanging on by cartilage. Area has bobcats and notes, so who knows.

Also have been rolling around on the heaviest oak mast drop i can remember. My yard is like walking on marbles. I have a nice buck, a young fork horn, and some does that are in the area daily. I can see why. Ground is a smorgasbord of acorns of all sizes, from various species. Same kind of oak mast mega-year on the ground and falling 24-7 in the area where I 'm working on duck blinds. Hope whatever turkeys a re out there are thriving on this protein.

- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:24 pm